registry cleanup programs. Has anyone come across this problem and know of a
fix?

This has only happened since last Friday when I did get an infected file
download but AVG Free dealt with that. I can't do a system restore because
one of the worm fixes on Google required that System Restore was turned off,
and that caused previous restore points to disappear. All critical updates
have been installed.

Reaction score
Interesting, this problem has been with us for some time. I got it three days ago. My boss gave me HP L7680 Officejet to install in our office. Worked real nice two days (ptr and fax). Third day, tried scan, Did not work from manager on task bar, or from L7680 control front panel. Online chat with HP Tech, tried a few things, to no avail. He suggested I use Windows Pic and Cam Scanner. Worked. Did not fix problem with L7680, but i could live with Windows. I walked away from PC / ptr. Next morning, my wife went onto office to find PC froze. I got it unfroze. Began getting errors "services.exe - App Err" (I hope I did right thing by excepting DEP); got rid of that error. Error persists" system shutdow. c:\windows\system32\services.exe terminated unexpectedly with status code 1073741819. The system will shut down and restart." I see this error on many websites. I see no solution. HP is scheduled to call me before 1000 tomorrow. Let's see what they can do. They say it is an OS problem with Microsoft. They are helping me to maintain the integrity of their reputation. A noble gesture. I am purposely responding to an old post. Anyone interested in answer?

Last edited:
Reaction score
HP second level technician spent most of day on phone with me. Problem resolved. Tech found conflicts in Registry. old printer entries, digital camera conflict with printer OCR. She cleaned out superflous entries in Registry, cleaned C:\, cleaned Device Mgr, removed old programs (control manager), installed new software / drivers for HP L7680 ptr.
Error gone. Amazing what a little cleaning can do. It just fascinates me this problem has been around over two years, and no mfr, or private, website has posted any answers. HP Tech got my PC and Ptr woring good as new. I am impressed, and very happy. Good luck to you all, with this problem.

Reaction score
I am having the very same problem as grumpy_lawrence except with a HP L7780 but the HP tech was not as helpful. Any advice on how to clean the registry, etc? I am really frustrated and don't know how to fix this problem. Thanks to any one who can help!

Reaction score
HP printer problems

Hello. We purchased a HP L7680 several months ago. New HP printer software conflicted with old printer software (incl OCR). I was on phone four days with lower level techs. Finally got to third level senior tech who was very knowledgeable. I would not attempt to clean registry on my own. Knowing what I know now, the first thing I would suggest is to remove new HP software. Then go through everyplace you can in your PC, and delete anything to do with old HP printer software (including any scanner/OCR). Then reload new HP printer software. That might fix it. Don't forget to backup before tinkering.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the info. After reading more info about this problem, I called HP back and got a tech that knew what to do. She took control of my computer, cleaned the registry, and I am up and running!! Also found out the HP printers are about the only ones available that are still compatible with old dos programs. Anyway, thanks for the info!

Ask a Question