• Thread starter Syed Faruckh Aly
  • Start date
S

Syed Faruckh Aly

When I right click on the Cryptographic Services (In the
services window) I get an error message:
"Configuration Manager: The specified device instance
handle does not correspond to a present device"
While it shows the properties when i click on OK button.
I am able to stop, start, and restart the Crytographic
services.
Please tell me If I am missing out on some component or is
it something else.
Thanks.

D

Doug Hoeffel

Syed:

This happens to me too. This also occurs with some other services as well.
I don't think this is a problem.

HTH... Doug

H

Harsh Shah [MS]

We are aware of this problem. As doug said, functionality wise there shouldn't be a problem.Also, you will get this warning dialog box with several other services and not just with cryptographic services. The problems is that those services are not associated with any hardware profile due to missing registry keys. You can check under "logon" tab for each of the services that you get this error. There won't be any hardware profile associated with that service. This is due to some missing subkeys/registry entries for each of these services (under Registry Branch: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\ - this is the branch that holds all the information for non-plug and play BIOS devices and associate the hardware profile for each service).However, you won't be able to modify/add these registry keys in the runtime. We have identified following services that shows the same error/warning:
Cryptographic Service
DCOM Server Process Launcher
Event Log
Logical Disk Manager
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service
Protected Storage
Smart card
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing.

Most of the missing reg keys for above services (including Cryptographic Service) have been already identified and fixed for SP2 RC. You should not receive the errors in RC. If you have identified any other services (other than listed above) that exhibits the same error, please send a message to this thread.

Thanks!
- Harsh.

D

Doug Hoeffel

Harsh:

Awesome follow-up! Usually I don't ignore such things like missing registry keys but I've never noticed any side effects so I just ignored it. It's also good to know that this was fixed in SP2!

Thanks again... Doug
We are aware of this problem. As doug said, functionality wise there shouldn't be a problem.Also, you will get this warning dialog box with several other services and not just with cryptographic services. The problems is that those services are not associated with any hardware profile due to missing registry keys. You can check under "logon" tab for each of the services that you get this error. There won't be any hardware profile associated with that service. This is due to some missing subkeys/registry entries for each of these services (under Registry Branch: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\ - this is the branch that holds all the information for non-plug and play BIOS devices and associate the hardware profile for each service).However, you won't be able to modify/add these registry keys in the runtime. We have identified following services that shows the same error/warning:
Cryptographic Service
DCOM Server Process Launcher
Event Log
Logical Disk Manager
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service
Protected Storage
Smart card
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing.

Most of the missing reg keys for above services (including Cryptographic Service) have been already identified and fixed for SP2 RC. You should not receive the errors in RC. If you have identified any other services (other than listed above) that exhibits the same error, please send a message to this thread.

Thanks!
- Harsh.

Ask a Question