Service could not be stopped, Access Denied

Michel Merlin

I have a service that is very annoying, and when I try to stop it, I can't (despite I am always and permanently logged as an Administrator):

1) In "Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Services and Applications > Services", when Right-Clicking the involved service, its 5 items "Start", "Stop", "Pause", "Resume", "Restart" are greyed.

2) In "Start > Run > MSconfig > Services", I can clear (uncheck) the involved service, but clicking "Close" returns "Access Denied... log on using an Administrator account..."; at next reboot, the involved service is still cleared in MSconfig, but still running in Computer Management > Services with "Stop" greyed.

Since I am owner and administrator of this *Personal* Computer, I can't understand why some thing in it is "denied" to me. Anyone can help me recover *my property*? TIA,

Versailles, Wed 17 Jun 2009 12:36:00 +0200

Malke

Michel said:
I have a service that is very annoying, and when I try to stop it, I can't
(despite I am always and permanently logged as an Administrator):

1) In "Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management
service, its 5 items "Start", "Stop", "Pause", "Resume", "Restart" are
greyed.

2) In "Start > Run > MSconfig > Services", I can clear (uncheck) the
involved service, but clicking "Close" returns "Access Denied... log on
using an Administrator account..."; at next reboot, the involved service
is still cleared in MSconfig, but still running in Computer Management >
Services with "Stop" greyed.

Since I am owner and administrator of this *Personal* Computer, I can't
understand why some thing in it is "denied" to me. Anyone can help me
recover *my property*? TIA,

You forgot to tell us the most important piece of information: the name of
the service and what it is connected with.

For all we know your computer could be infected.

Post back with the missing details and the answers to:

The First Question Of Troubleshooting: If the problem is new, what changed
between the time things worked and the time they didn't?

The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the malware/virus
status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what programs (and
versions) did you use to determine this?

Be sure the computer is clean:

Malke

Jose

[...]

You are not supplying enough information.

The description: "a service" and "involved service" is too vague.
Specify the exact service.

Some installed security software can prevent you from changing things
in MSCONFIG. what is your environment? Bit Defender, McAffee,
Norton, etc. They are all suspects for this issue.

Do you have any HP printer software installed? There are sometimes
problems with that.

MSCONFIG is convenient, but generally not the proper way to control
the operation of Services.

Are you logging in using the Administrator account for your day to day
activities? This is a risky practice (but not your problem here).
The preferred method would be to create a separate account with
Administrator privileges and reserve the Administrator account for
emergencies.

There is no login account above Administrator, so if it becomes
broken, you may have to use the "Reinstall XP From Scratch"
troubleshooting method to fix it.

SC Tom

[...]

What service are you trying to stop? If it's an XP critical service, it
won't let you.
You might try it in Safe Mode if you feel you really need to stop/disable
it.

Even if you are the Owner and Administrator, XP is smart enough to not let
you shut down a necessary item (well, for the most part).

SC Tom

Andrew E.

1st try R.clicking the task bar,open task mgr,locate the service,L.click on
it,
press the button "stop process",if it stops fine,either way go to run,type:
services.msc In msc,double click on the service,press stop service &/or
"disable service",exit when thru...If you were unable because of Adm
privilages,
restart pc,tap the F8 key before xp loads,select safe-mode,enter xp as
Administrator
You can/could also,boot pc to xp cd,press r For recovery console,select 1
For C:
Press enter key for password,type: Listsvc Locate & write down all
asociated with
that service,exit that menu when thru,type: Disable Follow the wizard &
enter
the data you wrote down,exit when thru.....

Michel Merlin

Thx to all 4 who replied Wed 17 Jun 2009 ("Malke" 12:04, "Jose" 12:09, "SC Tom" 12:10, "Andrew E." 15:56, all GMT)

1) A particular Thank to "Andrew E." for his advice to try to kill the service through Task Manager. Despite stopping it was denied by "Computer Management" or "MSconfig", it was unexpectedly allowed by Task Manager. This, while it did not suffice to resolve my particular problem (stopping the involved service removed one hurdle, but my task stalled a little further on another one), is useful to know.

2) I INTENTIONALLY omitted to tell the particular service involved: this is MY computer, my PERSONAL computer, chosen by me, bought by me, paid by me, maintained and troubleshooted by me DESPITE the so-called "help" from hardware, software and services vendors and their people (from regular staff to "volunteers" to fans). Sure if a service an user is attempting to stop is critical for the OS to run, then the OS vendor's DUTY is to WARN the user, EXPLICITLY and HONESTLY (which EXCLUDES all Microsoft-like blabla whose only goal is to conceal the true goal and effects), but then the decision is to the owner. Any attempt from the vendor to strip the owner from this ownership is a theft. This of course applies to ANY application or service or component, not only the particular that was involved here - whence my intentional omission (an omission that, while useless in a normal audience, is highly recommended on MS newsgroups, just see around how someone is received when he says any little thing not 100% inside the beaten paths).

3) I will now tell, just to help impaired readers to understand the situation, what service is involved, but this must not in any way help the political-agended forum scouts to strip people from their fundamental rights. This service is, under those reservations, BDDUS (BitDefender Desktop Update Service), alias LIVESRV; the problem arose with another one even bigger on 10 June right after I applied the "2nd Tuesday" Microsoft Update; I was then "protected" by BitDefender Antivirus 2008, yet after I thoroughly uninstalled it making my system theoretically rid of anything BitDefender, any try to reinstall any other BD version failed due to BDDUS "Access Denied", see http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=12902&st=140#entry59996 "Protection unavailable, Update aborted, Insufficient privileges, BD Update Service unstoppable, Access denied" §5.

I have no HP printer, mine is a Brother MFC-640CW, it was connected through LAN (RJ45), and after 10 June, through USB2.

Of course I am always and permanently logged as an Administrator.

Versailles, Fri 19 Jun 2009 10:59:15 +0200

----- Parent Message (links are clickable in OE) -----