C:\System Volume Information - Access is denied

Michel Merlin

My "Security" Suite reports:

C:\System Volume Information\...\RP305\....exe=](Instyler o)=](Instyler Module 11) = Gen:Adware.Heur.4105FAFAFA = Infected (no action was possible, file was in an archive)

So immediately go in Windows Explorer to navigate there and manually remove the threat from the involved Restore Point as I usually do, but this time on clicking "C:\System Volume Information" I am told:

« C:\System Volume Information is not accessible. Access is denied »

What is that? What removed *MY* access to *MY* property?. Please anyone help me recover that basic access (Of course I am logged as an Administrator). TIA,

Versailles, Sun 31 May 2009 13:49:45 +0200

Pegasus [MVP]

My "Security" Suite reports:

C:\System Volume Information\...\RP305\....exe=](Instyler o)=](Instyler
Module 11) = Gen:Adware.Heur.4105FAFAFA = Infected (no action was possible,
file was in an archive)

So immediately go in Windows Explorer to navigate there and manually remove
the threat from the involved Restore Point as I usually do, but this time on
clicking "C:\System Volume Information" I am told:

« C:\System Volume Information is not accessible. Access is denied »

What is that? What removed *MY* access to *MY* property?. Please anyone help
me recover that basic access (Of course I am logged as an Administrator).
TIA,

Versailles, Sun 31 May 2009 13:49:45 +0200

==================

This folder contains the Windows System Restore information and is normally
accessible to the System Account only. However, you can seize ownership of
it. Click Start / Help then look for help on Ownership if unsure how to do
it.

Touch Base

My "Security" Suite reports:

C:\System Volume Information\...\RP305\....exe=](Instyler o)=](Instyler
Module 11) = Gen:Adware.Heur.4105FAFAFA = Infected (no action was possible,
file was in an archive)

So immediately go in Windows Explorer to navigate there and manually remove
the threat from the involved Restore Point as I usually do, but this time on
clicking "C:\System Volume Information" I am told:

« C:\System Volume Information is not accessible. Access is denied »

What is that? What removed *MY* access to *MY* property?. Please anyone help
me recover that basic access (Of course I am logged as an Administrator).
TIA,

Versailles, Sun 31 May 2009 13:49:45 +0200

System Volume Information
May have to take ownership of the System Volume Information folder.

Instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Touch Base
Report back on the results, good or bad so others may benefit

"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy
to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know
how to use my telephone."
(Bjarne Stroustrup)

JS

Your security suite is reporting it found some type of threat inside
a 'System Restore' point. Strange that this is the only place it found
this threat.

The easiest way to deal with this issue is:
1) Create a new 'System Restore Point'.
2) Delete all but the most recent Restore Point.

To delete all but the latest restore point on your machine by using the
disk cleanup utility:
Go to 'Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
Disk Cleanup'. Click on the 'More Options' tab and then
click 'Clean up' button in the System Restore box.

Next: click Yes to remove all but the most recent restore point.
Finally: Click the OK button.

Next time your AV suite performs a scan see if the same warning
occurs.

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

My "Security" Suite reports:

C:\System Volume Information\...\RP305\....exe=](Instyler o)=](Instyler
Module 11) = Gen:Adware.Heur.4105FAFAFA = Infected (no action was possible,
file was in an archive)

So immediately go in Windows Explorer to navigate there and manually remove
the threat from the involved Restore Point as I usually do, but this time on
clicking "C:\System Volume Information" I am told:

« C:\System Volume Information is not accessible. Access is denied »

What is that? What removed *MY* access to *MY* property?. Please anyone help
me recover that basic access (Of course I am logged as an Administrator).
TIA,

Versailles, Sun 31 May 2009 13:49:45 +0200

Alan

Hello Michel,

To gain access to your System Volume Information folder, please see this
Microsoft KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531 and make sure
you read the information about using the CACLS tool in case you're using
Windows XP Home Edition with the NTFS file system.

Alan

My "Security" Suite reports:

C:\System Volume Information\...\RP305\....exe=](Instyler o)=](Instyler
Module 11) = Gen:Adware.Heur.4105FAFAFA = Infected (no action was possible,
file was in an archive)

So immediately go in Windows Explorer to navigate there and manually remove
the threat from the involved Restore Point as I usually do, but this time on
clicking "C:\System Volume Information" I am told:

« C:\System Volume Information is not accessible. Access is denied »

What is that? What removed *MY* access to *MY* property?. Please anyone help
me recover that basic access (Of course I am logged as an Administrator).
TIA,

Versailles, Sun 31 May 2009 13:49:45 +0200

Jim

My "Security" Suite reports:

C:\System Volume Information\...\RP305\....exe=](Instyler o)=](Instyler
Module 11) = Gen:Adware.Heur.4105FAFAFA = Infected (no action was possible,
file was in an archive)

So immediately go in Windows Explorer to navigate there and manually remove
the threat from the involved Restore Point as I usually do, but this time on
clicking "C:\System Volume Information" I am told:

« C:\System Volume Information is not accessible. Access is denied »

What is that? What removed *MY* access to *MY* property?. Please anyone help
me recover that basic access (Of course I am logged as an Administrator).
TIA,

Versailles, Sun 31 May 2009 13:49:45 +0200

If you inspect the properties of the folder, you will find that the only SID
which has any access to the folder is NTAUTHORIT/SYSTEM (i.e. Windows XP).
This situation arises because only Windows XP needs this access. You never
had access to this folder because these properties were created during the
installation of Windows XP.

So, what you do, as an administrator is give yourself full access to the
folder and all of its subfolders. You can do this because the information
you are seeing resides in the master file table to which every process must
have access.

Jim

Shenan Stanley

Michel said:
My "Security" Suite reports:

C:\System Volume Information\...\RP305\....exe=](Instyler
o)=](Instyler Module 11) = Gen:Adware.Heur.4105FAFAFA = Infected
(no action was possible, file was in an archive)

So immediately go in Windows Explorer to navigate there and
manually remove the threat from the involved Restore Point as I
usually do, but this time on clicking "C:\System Volume
Information" I am told:

« C:\System Volume Information is not accessible. Access is denied »

What is that? What removed *MY* access to *MY* property?. Please
anyone help me recover that basic access (Of course I am logged as
an Administrator).

Why would you try and remove something inside a system restore point
manually (which would fail in one way or another) instead of using Disk
Cleanup to remove all but the last system restore point OR turning off
System Restore, rebooting and then turning it back on to clear them all and
create a new/clean one?

You gain nothing by having access to the "System Volume Information" as
yourself.

Control the System Restore system through the proper interface - reduce it
down to about 1GB (or slightly larger - as close as you can) in size and
*don't* depend on it exclusively - it is not a backup system.

If you just have to have control - take ownership.

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Read *carefully* - do not just skim the page and start following steps.
There is important information there dependent on the version of Windows XP

Michel Merlin

Thanks to all 6 who posted timely and helpful replies within 4h5min of my call; the 1st SOLVED my problem, but I also record the 5 next, that can be useful in some other cases (see below).

1) Thanks "Pegasus [MVP]", Sun 31 May 2009 11:56:03 GMT, for your advice ("Click Start / Help then look for help on Ownership"). It worked perfect. Details:

I forgot to mention my system is a Feb 2006 laptop, Windows XP Pro, Pentium M760 (Dothan 2.0GHz), 2GB, NOT joined to a domain, with SFS (Simple File Sharing) disabled.

I recall that I CANNOT select "C:\System Volume Information": when I Simple-Click or Double-Click it, I get "Access is denied", and the item is NOT selected, so I CANNOT come through this path and choose its Properties.

Now « Start > Help & Support "Ownership" (38 results) > "Take ownership of a file or folder" » tells to "Right-click the file or folder". And yes, I can Right-Click it DIRECTLY (while I could NOT by first Simple-Clicking it). Then the continuation is as usual:

- Right-click "C:\System Volume Information", "Sharing and Security..." (or "Properties"), "Security > Advanced > Owner > Change owner to", where I currently have:
- ** Administrators
- * Merlin
|_| (cleared) Replace owner on subcontainers and objects

So I check the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects", select "Merlin", and click "OK", which returns:
|_____________________________________________________________
| ! of directory \??\C:\System Volume Information.
| Do you want to replace the directory permissions
| with permissions granting you Full Control?
|
| All persmissions will be replaced if you press Yes.

| | Yes | | No |
|_____________________________________________________________

I clicked Yes; changing permissions took about 1min30sec.

Once reached the "RP305\....exe" archive involved (1,505 KB), I couldn't open it and find the threat, so I deleted the entire "RP305" folder (RP304, RP305, RP306 were restore points of 15, 16, 17 May 2009), and immediately emptied the Recycle Bin (so to not propagate again the faulty item). I also deleted the "RP305" folder I had in "D:\System Volume Information\_restore{32-char GUID}\RP305".

2) Thanks to "Touch Base", Sun 31 May 2009 12:07:14 GMT:
To take ownership of the System Volume Information folder: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
"How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in Windows XP"

3) Thanks to "JS", Sun 31 May 2009 13:56:17 GMT:
To delete all but the latest restore point:
"Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup > More Options> System Restore > Clean up

4) Thanks to "Alan", Sun 31 May 2009 14:51:16 GMT:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531 "How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder",
make sure to read the § "Using CACLS with Windows XP Home Edition Using the NTFS File System"

5) Thanks to "Jim", Sun 31 May 2009 15:05:12 GMT:
the only SID which has any access to the folder is NTAUTHORIT/SYSTEM (i.e. Windows XP)
-> My Reply (Michel Merlin): I don't see that name. Anyway I bring back all folders under MY own property and "Merlin" Username (see §1).

6) Thanks to "Shenan Stanley", Sun 31 May 2009 15:54:43 GMT:
Why not using Disk Cleanup OR turning off System Restore
-> My Reply (Michel Merlin): System Restore NEVER brought me any successful help, so I rarely try to use it. I keep it however (just in case) but don't waste time hesitating before removing a part in it that appears a threat. Yet of course, in the same conservative way, I destroy as little as possible. In decades I never used (unless when forced) the barbare simplistic blind processes MS loves to impose on its so-called "customers" (like "removing all but the most recent restore point" - the only "help" Disk Cleanup is offering in this case).

Again, thanks to *all*.

Versailles, Tue 2 Jun 2009 14:45:10 +0200

----- Parent Thread -----
www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/windows-xp/c-system-volume-information-access-denied-242379.html
www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&tid=c11b93f0-afa3-46f0-a083-f041d70ffeb3&p=1

----- Parent Message (links are clickable in OE) -----
[...]

Of course it was NOT the only place. I simply thought useful to be very detailed on the useful information, yet to NOT bloat the forum with the rest.

« 2) Delete all but the most recent Restore Point »
If I don't use "Disk Cleanup" it is precisely because it unfortunately doesn't let me SELECTIVELY remove just the RPs I want. Thanks anyway,

Versailles, Tue 2 Jun 2009 15:19:00 +0200

----- How to use Threaded Discussions -----
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...ss.general/browse_frm/thread/102b441e62f560c6
----- Parent Thread -----
- www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/windows-xp/c-system-volume-information-access-denied-242379.html