I would like the body of all email I send out to use the
Arial 10pt font. I've set my message format to HTML. Via
Tools > Options > Mail Format > Fonts, I've set my
Message fonts to 10 pt. Arial.

When I compose a message, it uses the Arial font. If I
send the message to another individual, they receive it,
and the body of the email is using the Times New Roman
font.

In my sent items, the message is still using Arial.

I've sent the message to multiple people, and always,
when they see it in their inbox, the Times New Roman font
is used. These are all people using Outlook 2003 (as am
I), who can receive HTML email. They have the same
settings, and when I receive their email, it uses Arial.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Time New Roman

I have exactly the same problem on two machines in our office.
The problem is that if you look at the message source of the email received by the other person, the font tag is empty, so the recipient defaults to Times New Roman. I have tried everything I know to fix this - without a result. Changing fonts in Word, IE6 and OE6 makes no difference. The only thing I haven't tried is the fact that I haven't installed Outlook 2003. It maybe that if I did install this and set the default font there to Arial, it might work. The problem is that I'm happy with OE6 and don't want to fill my hard drive with stuff I don't want. I think there is just too much integration between all the Microsoft products and it gets itself into a mess. I'm surprised that no-one (even Microsoft) has come up with a fix for this.

J

John C. Harris, MPA

As far as I know it is an OE thing. I use, at work, OL2K3, but pull personal
mail using OE, and my OE is always Roman. Not a big deal to me, but I guess
it is to others. OL2K3 is 1000 times better and more useful that OE,
especially for business.

Reaction score
font face tag missing

I've done some more research into this. Using html email, if the selected font is Arial, the html generator omits the font face tag from the message source. If the font is changed to Arial Bold (or anything else for that matter) the font face tag is present. This also applies if you set the default font to anything other than Arial. I still thing it's something to do with an incorrectly formatted html style in Office 2003. I may try installing Outlook and see if it fixes it, but I really don't want to use Outlook for my email - I used to use it and found it too bloated, especially as I prefer plain text email anyway. The only reason I went down the html route was because I got fed up of seeing all my emaild being replied to with my original email in microscopic Times New Roman! I know it's a default thing in XP, but it would be nice if Microsoft set the default to Arial 10pt in future OS updates. Nearly everyone uses Arial these days so I think the Times New Roman default is a legacy leftover. If that was implemented, far fewer of us would have to use html email to ensure our messages displayed correctly. C'est la vie!!

Ask a Question