Sending information securely

Reaction score
What is the safest way to send personal details to my daughter over the internet?
I'm pretty paranoid about security and she needs some information fairly quickly.
Thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I guess a lot depends on how important it is and the type of information - is it just text or is it documents?

If it's documents, you could use some sort of secure uploading site like Dropbox and then grand temporary access - that way you'll have an audit log of access and can revoke it at a later date and delete the files. That's only part of the issue as it also means your daughter will need to treat the files securely at her end (i.e. not saving them).

If it's just text information, you could use something like Whatsapp and then either of you can delete the message once the information is no longer needed.

At the end of the day, the information is only as secure as the weakest point - so securely zipping files, sending via PGP e-mail etc... is great, but only if it's stored/opened/deleted securely at the other end.

Reaction score
Thanks Ian. It's just bank details so my daughter can pay me back the money she owes me!!
I thought I could send Account no in two halves (separate emails) and the sort code seperately too - not using my main email address.
Too paranoid?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Whatsapp is very secure with encryption at both ends.

You can never be too careful with information. :nod:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If it's a sort code and account number, I'd probably just send that in a plain e-mail in one go to be honest - it's hard to do anything with those numbers other than pay money in to an account:

It’s generally considered safe to give out your account number and sort code, but you should always use common sense and avoid sharing your bank details with people you don’t know or expect payments from.

Given you're sharing the e-mail/whatsapp with your daughter, you'll be safe :).

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
If you're really worried about it you could always send half of the sort code by email and the other half by Whatsapp and the same for the account number. That should be extra secure.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Write a letter. MI5 have no interest in you. :)

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for your helpful posts. In the end I sent the sort code and account no on seperate emails using a non personal email address and I thought that was secure enough bearing in mind Ians comments. I had thought of the half and half solution already but my daughter would have probably thought I'd gone mad - she thinks I'm too cautious as it is!!!
PS: You can never be too cautious.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
daughter would have probably thought I'd gone mad - she thinks I'm too cautious as it is!!!
PS: You can never be too cautious.

All daughters think their fathers mad and far too cautious. I can vouch for that. :D

Ask a Question