Selecting input language at logon

Andrew Morgan

Hi

Our standard desktop build is English (UK) - i.e. regional settings/input
language etc.

We've now got some French staff at an office in Paris. They've got French
keyboards.

We've configured French as an alternative input language, and sure enough
they can switch between French and English using LeftAlt-Shift. However,
the computers insist on starting up in English, and they're unable to change
the input language in the Ctrl-Alt-Del box.

How can I allow our users to select the input language at logon? I'm sure
I've seen the language indicator there before!

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

David Candy

Open your eyes. You had to choose to change languages.

This is a typical abusive post. Too lazy to search, are we? Too lazy to look in the bloody dialog to see the option.

Andrew Morgan

I beg your pardon?

Was I supposed to say "Have searched Google, Technet etc to no avail".

I only make Usenet posts when I'm sure I've looked as hard as I can
elsewhere for the answer. As such, I don't expect to come here and be
abused by brainless losers like yourself.

You're evidently too dumb and anally retentive to render assistance.

Now I know why I prefer the MS private news server. I was hoping for a
swift answer which is why I posted here. I just didn't expect to encounter
the local pondlife.

If anyone else is enlightened enough to assist I'd be most grateful,
otherwise forget it, and I'll post on the private forums instead.

For info: the change language option is not available at logon.

Thanks in advance.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Open your eyes. You had to choose to change languages.

This is a typical abusive post. Too lazy to search, are we? Too lazy to look
in the bloody dialog to see the option.

Hello,

If you'd be so kind as to reply to this message if you find an answer to
this problem, I would appreciate it greatly. I'm having the same problem
with German. Unfortunately, it seems no matter the atmosphere you run into
rude folk like Mr. Candy.

Thanks in advance -

Catalina de Leon

NobodyMan

Now I know why I prefer the MS private news server. I was hoping for a
swift answer which is why I posted here. I just didn't expect to encounter
the local pondlife.

If anyone else is enlightened enough to assist I'd be most grateful,
otherwise forget it, and I'll post on the private forums instead.

FYI, the MS private news server is available to everybody on USENET,
making it not very "private." That's why you encountered what you
encountered.

This is not a board run by MS waiting to give you answers. If you
want that, call MS tech support. This is a peer board, where fellow
users respond to posts.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Not at all correct.
There are many private Microsoft news servers and none that I know are
available usenet, Google or anywhere else.
These particular news servers are public and not private.

Andrew Morgan

By 'private news server' I was referring to privatenews.microsoft.com, which
Channel Partners like myself use. I only posted this message in here as it
wasn't a break/fix scenario, and I was hoping for a quick response from
someone who may have encountered a similar issue themselves.

The private news server is primarily staffed by MS internal techies, who are
therefore knowledgeable and courteous.

I'm well aware that this newsgroup is more peer-to-peer and as such is
frequented by knowledgable courteous people (like your good self no doubt)
and also single-cell organisms with no propensity to offer any meaningful
contribution to anything - like David Candy.

However, we're slightly OT here, and I (and another poster) still have an
issue with language at logon!!

David Candy

Moron, I answered 26 minutes after you posted. I'll repeat as you seem particulary stupid and LAZY.

Open your eyes. Too lazy to look in the bloody dialog to see the option.

Andrew Morgan

Ok, let's put aside our differences and any personal grudges to try to
resolve the technical issue at hand.

You say I should look at the dialog to see the option.

I assume you're referring to the logon dialog. Well I see no language
change option there I'm afraid. Now I've seen the language bar there
before, in other OS builds - whereby one can use Alt-Shift to change the
language. Unfortunately, even though 2 languages are installed, I see no
such change language option or any other language indicator in this dialog.
Sure enough I can change language once logged in, but that's no good for our
poor French colleagues.

Have you stopped to think that we may have a problem here? Perhaps some
missing dll's or whatever - I don't know - which could be causing my
problem. Perhaps instead of abusing me you could consider that, as an IT
professional with 20 years experience in IT, I've taken the trouble to
resolve this issue myself before asking for help. Have you considered I may
have used all the resources I have available - web/technet etc, and have not
found anything, and therefore sought help from peers.

Please, if you can offer any useful help then I'd be grateful. However, if
all you can do is abuse me then please, don't waste your time.

Thanks in advance.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Moron, I answered 26 minutes after you posted. I'll repeat as you seem
particulary stupid and LAZY.

Open your eyes. Too lazy to look in the bloody dialog to see the option.

David Candy

Well I was refering to the language dialog (in regional settings) where it says make whatever language the default at (just closed the dialog after opening it to see what exactly it said - logon or startup). As they have french keyboards there is no point having any other language available. This was because you said "However, the computers insist on starting up in English." That's because the setting here says to.

On the advanced tab turn on both Advanced Text Services and Extend Support To All Programs to get Alt + Shift to work.

ANONYMOUS

Hey Peter,

Are you already in november (one month ahead of us)? So you will get
XMAS well before everybody on planet earth! Have you done your shopping
yet?

In my case, none of the advice you all have given so far is applicable. I
didn't mention that unlike Mr. Morgan, I have no way to access my computer.
It's not even connected to the internet yet, as I purchased it about 3 weeks
ago and spare time is rare around here.

My password only contains one German character, and like Mr. Morgan, the
2-character box for switching languages at startup only appears when I
restart or log off - not after the initial startup. Since my expertise lies
in software engineering, and not computer programming, I have tried all I
can...but admittedly couldn't do much.

Catalina de Leon

Andrew Morgan

Hi ... posted my message on the MS private news server and got this
response:

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for posting.

From your post, my understanding of this issue is: The French Keyboard does
not work properly before logging on Windows. If this is not correct,
please feel free to let me know.

Based on my research, this is a by design behavior. Usually, on the logon
window, we recommend that we press "Alt+Shift" and switch the input
keyboard layout to English to log onto Windows XP. If you would like to
customize the layout, please refer to the following steps:

1. Click Start and click Run, type "regedit" (without quotation marks), and
then click OK.
2. Locate to the following key:
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Keyboard Layout\Preload]

3. If there are several items such as "1", "2", "3" display on the right
window, please right click New on the Edit menu and click "String Value".
4. Type in "4" without quotations and press Enter.
Note: The name of the value depends on the existing ones

5. Double click the new value, and type in "0000040c" without quotations
and press Enter.
6. Exit Registry Editor and then restart the computer.

The "0000040c" is the French keyboard layout code. For Windows NT 4.0 and
later, the following registry key tree contains a listing of keyboard
layout codes: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard
Layouts]

Hope the above information helps. If anything is unclear or you have any
concerns, please feel free to post back. I am glad to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Steven Wang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Tested and works fine.

ac3_0f_5pad35: I hope this helps you sort your issue

Mr Candy: I hope the therapy works for you.

Kindest regards
Andrew

Peter Foldes

Seems so