Subject: SEARCHING FOR TEXT WITHIN TXT FILES
From: "G" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 4/29/2004 5:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time

I've noticed that when searching for a string within
files, XP doesn't include those in TXT format. I've tried
and tested this and it seems that the files have to be in
RTF or DOC format. Any ideas why this is or how to get
around it?

Agent Ransack is a free full featured search engine. It's available at
www.agentransack.com . There's also a shareware version called FileLocatorPro
with even more features. You'll never use XP Search again.

HTH,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Many Thanks!

Agent Ransack is a free full featured search engine. It's available at
www.agentransack.com . There's also a shareware version called FileLocatorPro
with even more features. You'll never use XP Search again.

HTH,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***
.

Alex Nichol

G said:
I've noticed that when searching for a string within
files, XP doesn't include those in TXT format. I've tried
and tested this and it seems that the files have to be in
RTF or DOC format. Any ideas why this is or how to get
around it?

It should be including TXT - that is one of the very few types that are
registered as being pure ASCII and which do then get searched for 'text
contained'. It is possible that the entry has been damaged - and may
be by some program you installed that over wrote the 'Persistent
Handler' entry for TXT, so it might be worth first checking with
regedit.exe - open to
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt
and see if there is a PersistentHandler subkey - if so whether the
(Default) on the right for that, when highlighted, matches that in
quotes after the @= in the patch below,. If no match you might want to
File - Export that .txt level so you could restore things should there
be side effects from the patch

Make the following, after - - start and before - - end into a file by
cut/paste to NotePad. Make sure there is a blank line at the end. Save
as "Patch.reg" then right-click on this file and take Merge to enter it
into the registry.

- - start
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\PersistentHandler]
@="{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

- - end