scvhost take 99% of CPU

Jvi

Hello guys,

after few seconds from booting, svchost take 99% of the CPU. From tasklisk:

svchost.exe 1248 AudioSrv, BITS, CryptSvc, Dhcp, ERSvc,
EventSystem, helpsvc, Irmon, lanmanserver,
lanmanworkstation, Netman, Nla, RasMan,
Schedule, seclogon, SENS, SharedAccess,
srservice, TapiSrv, Themes, TrkWks, W32Time,
winmgmt, wscsvc, wuauserv, WZCSVC

Stopping the automatic update seems to solve the problem, but
then I can't access windowsupdate.

Any clue on how to fix it?

Thanks
Jvi

BillW50

This has been covered lots of times over many different threads. Here is
just one of them that may help you with this problem.

From: "PA Bear" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: CPU @ 100%
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 03:35:06 -0400

Is Outlook.exe spiking to near-100% CPU? If not, what is?

The following is courtesy of MVP Emeritus Ottmar Freudenberger:

First, install this fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891

Now install the newly released 'standalone' version of Windows Update
Agent
3.0, v7.0.6000.374, for 32 bit machines (*not* Vista or any x64 version
of
Windows!):
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

The MS update team believes that this solves all three svchost problems
that
folks have been experiencing. See
http://blogs.technet.com/wsus/archive/2007/04/28/update-on.aspx

Also see
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/mowgreen/index.php?showentry=1071
(First try the steps posted May 4th at the beginning of the article.)

Workaround: Change the default from Microsoft Update to Windows Update:
Go
to Microsoft Update > Click on Change Settings in left pane > Scroll to
bottom of page > To Stop Using Microsoft Update > Disable Microsoft
Update
software and let me use Windows Update only (check). cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/901037

With Windows Update as your default, you will need to check in at Office
Update to keep your Office applications fully patched:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/maincatalog.aspx

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

Bill

Another solution is to turn off automatic updates as this will always run
eating up CPU spped and bandwidth.

so if you ever suffer internet lag of any sort like durring a video
multiplayer gam then this is one of the causes.

Leo

The issue is caused by the Automatic Update Agent and an incompatibility
between some newer updates and the older update agent. I have used the
following process to solve this issue and as of yet it has always been
successful:

1) Boot up the PC fresh and immediately as soon as the Desktop is present
run "services.msc".

2) Click on the Automatic Updates service and "Stop" it.

3) Then click on the properties of the service and "Disable" the service.

4) When this is done close everything down and go to the windows root
directory (Windows or Winnt).

5) Look for a folder called "Software Distribution" and delete all the
contents.

6) After this has been done download the Windows Update Agent V3.0 file from
this location
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

7) Run this .exe and select next, next, etc.

8) Once installed reboot the PC.

9) Once rebooted double check the "Automatic Updates Service" has started
again.

10) If all is good then manually install all updates that haven't been
installed to double check that the Agent is working successfully.

11) If all is good then the fix has worked.

PA Bear

That's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Courtesy of MVP Emeritus Ottmar Freudenberger:

1. First install the newly released 'standalone' version of Windows Update
Agent 3.0, v7.0.6000.374
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932494

Direct Download links:

x86-based versions of Windows (most users)
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe

x64-based versions of Windows
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/windowsupdateagent30-x64.exe

Itanium-based versions of Windows
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/windowsupdateagent30-ia64.exe

2. Now (re)install this (updated) fix:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891

3. Reboot.

http://blogs.technet.com/wsus/archive/2007/05/15/srvhost-msi-issue-follow-up.aspx
and http://blogs.technet.com/wsus/archive/2007/04/28/update-on.aspx

Also see
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/mowgreen/index.php?showentry=1071
(First try the steps posted May 4th at the beginning of the article.)

Workaround: Change the default from Microsoft Update to Windows Update: Go
to Microsoft Update > Click on Change Settings in left pane > Scroll to
bottom of page > To Stop Using Microsoft Update > Disable Microsoft Update
software and let me use Windows Update only (check). cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/901037

With Windows Update as your default, you will need to check in at Office
Update to keep your Office applications fully patched:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/maincatalog.aspx

I'm having the same symptoms as Jvi, but I'm not quite sure its the same cause.

I've just updated to Windows Update Agent 3.0, installed the MSI fix update
and has rebooted - but 'nada'. Scvhost still takes 99%.

At the same time GoogleUpdate informs me that Background Intelligent
Transfer Service is not running. I've being searching BIST everywhere in
Admin/Services, but it is simply not there.

Any ideas? Can I reinstall/activate it somehow???