Scanpst.exe error

hwince

While using MS Vista Premium Home and Outlook 2007 and using multiple
Profiles, I have Opened a file in one of the profiles and encountered an
error in the file. I have tried to delete/remove this file from the profile
and gotten the error "You cannot delete this Outlook data file. Configuration
information in the file is being copied to your new default data file. You
can delete the file after this information is copied." After some time, I
have gone to Control Panel to attempt to remove this file from the profile
and gotten the same error message.

So I have run Scanpst.exe on the problem file, but at the end of Phase 6 of
8, the error message "An error has occurred which caused the scan to be
stopped. No changes have been made in the scanned file."

What can I do to restore this profile to normal operation?

DL

If scanpst is unable to repair a data file then other than using a third
party tool to recover data theres little you can do
If you are able to open this data file within Outlook, if you select
properties of *this* Personal Folder, under Advanced what does it say for
Format?

hwince

Thanks, DL. I have opened this profile using a "ghost" PST file.
Unfortunately, when I try to access/open the Personal Folder associated with
the "error" file, I get the Outlook error message "The set of folders cannot
be opened. Errors have been detected in the file (path). Quit Outlook and all
mail-enabled applications and then use the Inbox repair tool (scanpst.exe) to
diagnose and repair errors in the file. For more information about the Inbox
repair tool, see Help." So I cannot look at the Advanced function. Then, it
appears I'm held to a third party solution. Not much help from Microsoft.

DL

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "ghost"

You can only try scanpst again, ensuring outlook is not running.

hwince

When I first set up this profile, Outlook set up a PST file in it's "system"
folder location. This file had a name, such as Outlook4.pst. Then, I
imported/opened the PST file I wanted to use, which was located in my "user
data" folder, which I named such as Henry.pst and set it as the default and
removed the Outlook4.pst. When Henry.pst developed the error, I went back and
opened, Outlook4.pst (which I called "ghost", since it really didn't have
anything in it) and set it as the default. This allowed me to open the
profile, but I still could not access the "error" PST file. Sorry about the
confusing terminology.

DL

What size is this problem pst?
Do you happen to know whether it was created in an earlier version of
Outlook?
Have you tried scanpst again, several trys?

hwince

The problem PST was just over 2 GB and was created using WIN XP SP2 and
Outlook 2007. Then, I converted to MS Vista Premium Home and Outlook
continued to work fine. But, one day I got the error message that the file
could not be opened and I have been fighting it ever since. Now, I have used
Disk Doctors Recovery program and after an incredibly long processing time,
it appears that the file has been restored. I am working with Disk Doctors
techs to get more information because of the long processing time and the
fact that the restored file is only 900+ KB even though it appears that all
the message data and attachments are intact. Interesting.

To answer your final question, I did not attempt multiple scans using
Scanpst.exe. Have there been reports of this fixing the problems?

DL

Like anything PC related trying a process again will sometimes result in it
working.
Chkdsk might also have been an option.
A pst data file is, in reality, a db and like any db some space is 'unused'
compacting can reduce the size, but a 50%+ reduction seems a little
excessive.
You might want to download the bootable disk checking utility available on
your HD manufacturers site, as a hd problem can cause such problems.

ikhlas satti

I have run Scanpst.exe on the problem file, but at the end of Phase 6 of
8, the error message "An error has occurred which caused the scan to be
stopped. No changes have been made in the scanned file."

What can I do to restore this profile to normal operation?

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

I have run Scanpst.exe on the problem file, but at the end of Phase 6 of
8, the error message "An error has occurred which caused the scan to be
stopped. No changes have been made in the scanned file."

What can I do to restore this profile to normal operation?

A commercial tool might be able to handle it.

bulu jena

error in PST file
ikhlas satti posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 9:39 AM

On Monday, August 11, 2008 10:37 PM DL wrote:
If scanpst is unable to repair a data file then other than using a third
party tool to recover data theres little you can do
If you are able to open this data file within Outlook, if you select
properties of *this* Personal Folder, under Advanced what does it say for
Format?

news:[email protected]...