Scanner not visible on LAN

Phreak

I am running TCP/IP LAN (Home). Two machines, XP(SP2) is host, WIN98(SP ??
updated recently/regularly) is client.
I can share files and folders, places, but can't get the scanner to show up
on remote/client machine.
Using HP PrecisionScan LAN (OEM disk, with latest update 3.0).
All other shared files/resources appear and function.
Scanner works excellent on XP host.
When HP LAN Host is running it shows "not connected" (to Precisionscan LAN)
in spite of availability of other resources.
Tried reloading the remote network files using the (SP2) "network setup
wizard", "create network setup disk".
Install of network setup disk (remote machine) fails: "cannot locate your
network hardware" "You must restart"
But, that machine can still access internet, shared files/folders/resources,
PrecisionScan LAN notwithstanding. The inference is that the LAN card works
and is in fact present.
Interestingly, The remote machine does not appear in "My network places"
from host.
Network connection config. :
Host : Client for Microsoft, Internet protocol (TCP/IP), File/print sharing,
QoS packet Scheduler.
Client/remote: same minus Qos

ipconfig.exe will pop up and close, no help.

I'm no expert networker, play nice please!

Ideas? Comments? Aspersions?
Thanks

Carey Frisch [MVP]

You cannot share a scanner over a network in Windows XP,
only printers.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| I am running TCP/IP LAN (Home). Two machines, XP(SP2) is host, WIN98(SP ??
| updated recently/regularly) is client.
| I can share files and folders, places, but can't get the scanner to show up
| on remote/client machine.
| Using HP PrecisionScan LAN (OEM disk, with latest update 3.0).
| All other shared files/resources appear and function.
| Scanner works excellent on XP host.
| When HP LAN Host is running it shows "not connected" (to Precisionscan LAN)
| in spite of availability of other resources.
| Tried reloading the remote network files using the (SP2) "network setup
| wizard", "create network setup disk".
| Install of network setup disk (remote machine) fails: "cannot locate your
| network hardware" "You must restart"
| But, that machine can still access internet, shared files/folders/resources,
| PrecisionScan LAN notwithstanding. The inference is that the LAN card works
| and is in fact present.
| Interestingly, The remote machine does not appear in "My network places"
| from host.
| Network connection config. :
| Host : Client for Microsoft, Internet protocol (TCP/IP), File/print sharing,
| QoS packet Scheduler.
| Client/remote: same minus Qos
|
| ipconfig.exe will pop up and close, no help.
|
| I'm no expert networker, play nice please!
|
| Ideas? Comments? Aspersions?
| Thanks

Phreak

Thanks Carey.

The Hp PrecisionScan software says "For Win 98/ME/XP". The implied XP
functionality was erroneous?
Why have it listed as compatible/functional if it is a moot point (XP
can't/won't)? (Rhetorical questions).

Jeff

Carey Frisch [MVP]

You can install the scanner software on one PC,
but you cannot share the scanner itself over a network.

Help and Support Incorrectly States That Sharing of Scanners is Possible
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q304097

Visit http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html to download
the latest software for your HP scanner.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| Thanks Carey.
|
| The Hp PrecisionScan software says "For Win 98/ME/XP". The implied XP
| functionality was erroneous?
| Why have it listed as compatible/functional if it is a moot point (XP
| can't/won't)? (Rhetorical questions).
|
| Jeff

Phreak

Again, thanks Carey.

One more Q.
The Xp network setup disk won't find the Lan card on my WIN98 machine (it's
there and functions well for internet and testing puposes; ipconfig shows it
and control panel, "network adapters" show it as functional, so I've
verified that), any ideas?
Since I tried the impossible (scanner over network), now my 98 machine (I
know, time to upgrade), can't share any files or folders as it could prior
to this little escapade. I was hoping the XP network wizard would fix it but
since it closes before configuring the 98 machine, I am at a loss for what
was changed, altered or removed.

Is it possible to use the wizard from XP(SP2) on 98?
Now my puny little network is FUBAR.
Muchas Gracias!!

Phreak

Nevermind.
I fixed it. Sorry about posting Net Q's on XP.Help_and_support group.