Scan Disk Won't Run

Starchild

all of a sudden I can no longer run scandisk to check for errors and bad sectors. I continuously get the message"File system is NTFS, can not open volume for direct acess-"
WHAT has happened? I used to be able to run scan disk after I restarted-now it will not run at all...HOW can I fix this?

Kaylene aka Taurarian

Cannot Open Volume for Direct Access" Error Message When Chkdsk Runs at Startup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823439&Product=winxp
Cannot open volume for direct access.
The type of the file system is NTFS.
IFSUTIL: Can't open drive. Status returned = c0000043.
Windows has finished checking the disk.

all of a sudden I can no longer run scandisk to check for errors and bad
sectors. I continuously get the message"File system is NTFS, can not open
volume for direct acess-"
WHAT has happened? I used to be able to run scan disk after I restarted-now it
will not run at all...HOW can I fix this?

Starchild

THANKS A MILLION!!:] I thought I was going crazy-I KNEW chkdsk used to work, now all of a sudden it quit and this is the EXACT error I am getting-probably one of their HOTFIXES corrupted something-will keep posted on this

"Eliminate annoying spam!
My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster."

http://www.ihatespam.net

Cannot Open Volume for Direct Access" Error Message When Chkdsk Runs at Startup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823439&Product=winxp
Cannot open volume for direct access.
The type of the file system is NTFS.
IFSUTIL: Can't open drive. Status returned = c0000043.
Windows has finished checking the disk.

all of a sudden I can no longer run scandisk to check for errors and bad
sectors. I continuously get the message"File system is NTFS, can not open
volume for direct acess-"
WHAT has happened? I used to be able to run scan disk after I restarted-now it
will not run at all...HOW can I fix this?

Carrie Garth

| "Starchild" <http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spam/fightspam.mspx>
| wrote in message |
| all of a sudden I can no longer run scandisk to check for errors and
| bad sectors. I continuously get the message"File system is NTFS, can
| not open volume for direct acess-" <SNIP>

As "Kaylene aka Taurarian" pointed out, the "Cannot Open Volume
for Direct Access" error is a well-known problem. Furthermore,
there appears that there can be more than one cause of the problem
and, as such, more than one solution.

One solution to try if the file system is NTFS is to schedule chkdsk
to run at startup with the /X parameter which forces a dismount.

And if you are having "Boot-Time Defragmentation issues while
running ZoneAlarm," Executive Diskeeper Tech Support has
issued a FAQ the explains how to solve the problem by temporarily
disabling the VSDATANT device.

For more information see the following web page on the subject
authored by Jerold Schulman: Windows - General MVP:

JSI Tip 7079_ You receive 'Cannot open volume for direct access'
when Chkdsk runs during Windows XP startup
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBO/tip7000/rh7079.htm

Note: According to the following newsgroup post updating
ZoneAlarm solved the problem: