J. P. Gilliver (John) said:
In message <[email protected]>,
I tried again with the same results.

The only thing I didn't do was use the
driver disc that came with the adaptor.
It says that Win ME/200/XP/2003 (no
need to install driver) so I assume I
didn't need to.

It's a 7 or 8 system you're using it on isn't it - are you sure it works
at all on 7 or 8?
However to cover all the bases I inserted
the disc and this is what it says:

DVD-RW Drive D: Driver

Mixed content options

Play using media player

Import pictures and video's using
Windows

Import pictures and Video's using
photo gallery

View Pictures using Photo Gallery

then it says General Options

Open folder to view files using
Windows Explorer

None of these seem appropriate.

That sounds like the standard popup when you insert any CD.

When you plug in the USB to SATA/IDE adaptor, do you get _any_
indication that the PC has detected it - ding-dong sound, "new hardware
detected" popup, other? If so, does it then ask for a driver?
According to the instructions; once
connected the new hardware 'USB' Mass
Storage Device will be installed
automatically, and Driver icon is
created at 'my Computer'
(I assume that's a misprint - or miskey on your part - for "drive icon".)
I assume this means a pop-up on the
desktop or am I incorrect?

In XP, you would be incorrect: it means if you open the "My Computer"
icon (by default at top left of your screen), you'll see an extra drive.
I'm not sure of the situation on 7/8, though I think 7 at least uses
something similar.
In any case the adapter doesn't seem
to be functioning. The red light is on
showing that it's getting power but aside
from that I see no activity.

As an alternative, I did try exporting
my links to a DVD-RW a few months before
all this happened. So if I can't get this
to work maybe you can tell me how I can
import the links from the disc?

(I'll let the others tackle this bit as I don't know IE, certainly not
the 7/8 versions. Probably worth saying how you exported them -
importing may be a similar exercise.)
[]

The USB Mass Storage (Class) driver has been built into Windows
for some time.

Usually, when they make a product like that, the driver CD is for
older OSes. Like perhaps Win98. If it's WinXP/Vista/W7/W8, then
the USB driver is already present.

For example, look for a "usbstor.inf" file. That is part of Windows.

Paul

Ben Myers

Ok, I removed the HD from the 8200 and attached the SATA/IDE cable to it and then connected the it to the 8500 via USB connection. Nothing, no pop-ups or anything. I waited several minutes, tried rebooting etc still nothing. I tried this several times.
To make matters worst my 8200 now will not boot or anything!@! Insteas of a green light on the front it has a flashing yellow light.
Great, now I'm worst off than I was before. I'm writing this on the 8500 but barely able to get around with no links or anything.
So now what am I to do?
Thoughts, Suggestions?
Robert.

Connect the drive and open "My Computer" or its equivalent in your operating system and see if the drive
is there.

Ben

dadiOH

wrote in message

Ok, I removed the HD from the 8200 and attached the SATA/IDE cable to it and
then connected the it to the 8500 via USB connection. Nothing, no pop-ups or
anything. I waited several minutes, tried rebooting etc still nothing. I
tried this several times.

So did you try opening Windows explorer on the 8500 and using it to browse
the newly attached drive (the one from the 8200).

Yep, 3F
_________________________

To make matters worst my 8200 now will not boot or anything!@! Insteas of a
green light on the front it has a flashing yellow light.

Let me think...
...thinking
...thinking

GOT IT!! You didn't put the freakin' drive back into the 8200.

Yep, definitely 3F
_____________________

Great, now I'm worst off than I was before. I'm writing this on the 8500 but
barely able to get around with no links or anything.

So now what am I to do?

You might try using your head to accomplish what is a *very* basic task. If
you can't figure it out for yourself, try what I and others have been
telling you from the git-go. Or, you can remain 3F.

Actually, your best bet is to take both computers into a shop and tell them
what you want done. You might want to print out this entire thread to show
them; at the very least it would give them a good laugh :)

dadiOH

dadiOH

wrote in message

of these seem appropriate.

According to the instructions; once
connected the new hardware 'USB' Mass
Storage Device will be installed
automatically, and Driver icon is
created at 'my Computer'

I assume this means a pop-up on the
desktop or am I incorrect?

You are incorrect. It means that when you view the drives/folders/files
using - guess what? - Windows Explorer the drive will be shown as a drive.
You can start Windows Explorer via Winkey + E; or, you can use the noob way
and select "explore" after right clocking the My Computer icon on the
desktop.

_________________________

As an alternative, I did try exporting
my links to a DVD-RW a few months before
all this happened. So if I can't get this
to work maybe you can tell me how I can
import the links from the disc?

Why of course, Robert, I'll be happy to tell you. Again.

1. Turn on your new computer
2. Put the DVD into the optical drive
3. When Windows opens the DVD showing you what is on it, select what you
want and copy them to the new computer. If by chance Windows doesn't open
the drive, start Windows Explorer (see above) select the optical drive and
click it.
________________________

thoughts/suggestions?

Are you a troll? If so, good job!!

dadiOH

dadiOH

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote in message

In message <[email protected]>,
As an alternative, I did try exporting
my links to a DVD-RW a few months before
all this happened. So if I can't get this
to work maybe you can tell me how I can
import the links from the disc?

(I'll let the others tackle this bit as I don't know IE, certainly not
the 7/8 versions. Probably worth saying how you exported them -
importing may be a similar exercise.)

Surely you jest. Links are internet shortcuts. They are an URL. All he
has to do is copy them off his CD onto the new computer.

Why are you folks complicating a simple task by introducing SATA/USB
adapters, removing/installing hard drives, et al?

dadiOH

magineer02

I have verified that the adapter is getting power
via the red indicator.

I have tried this at least 6 or more times going very
slowly to make sure I did everything right. The connections
are pretty straightforward but I still get no reaction
either from the adapter aside from the red indicator or
from the 8500.

When I re-install the HD in the 8200 it no longer functions
and will not boot.

Robert

magineer02

P.S. Just so there's no further confusion,
the red indicator is located on top of the
SATA/IDE adapter.

Robert

Ben Myers

I have verified that the adapter is getting power
via the red indicator.
I have tried this at least 6 or more times going very
slowly to make sure I did everything right. The connections
are pretty straightforward but I still get no reaction
either from the adapter aside from the red indicator or
from the 8500.
When I re-install the HD in the 8200 it no longer functions
and will not boot.

Remove and reseat the connections.

Ben

J. P. Gilliver (John)

dadiOH <[email protected]> said:
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote in message

(I'll let the others tackle this bit as I don't know IE, certainly not
the 7/8 versions. Probably worth saying how you exported them -
importing may be a similar exercise.)

Surely you jest. Links are internet shortcuts. They are an URL. All

It still isn't _entirely_ clear what he means by "links", though it does
indeed seem he means URLs (favorites/bookmarks).

But what do you mean by "they are an URL" - a text file containing a
URL? A shortcut file? A text or other file containing lots of them?
he has to do is copy them off his CD onto the new computer.

Where to?
Why are you folks complicating a simple task by introducing SATA/USB
adapters, removing/installing hard drives, et al?

dadiOH

I wasn't, but since someone else had said that and he'd done it, it
seemed the simplest way to carry on with that.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message <[email protected]>,
I have verified that the adapter is getting power
via the red indicator.

Yes, but we rather suspect that the _drive_ isn't. If the drive isn't
getting power, then the adapter won't see it, even if the _adaptor_ *is*
getting power. (In the case of some laptop drives they get power through
the same connector as data, but if it's a desktop one it is a separate
connector.)
I have tried this at least 6 or more times going very
slowly to make sure I did everything right. The connections
are pretty straightforward but I still get no reaction
either from the adapter aside from the red indicator or
from the 8500.

If it's an EIDE drive, there is the big 40-way connector for the data,
some links, and the power connector which is four large pins. (If it's a
SATA one, I think it still has a power connector, but I'm not sure if
it's as big.)
When I re-install the HD in the 8200 it no longer functions
and will not boot.

Did you reconnect both the data and the power connector? If it's an EIDE
drive, at least, the power connector will have four wires, usually red,
yellow, and two black.

I don't think I would make a great rock star. I like my tea too much!
- Jessica Raine (Jenny in "Call the Midwife"),
in Radio Times 19-25 January 2013.

magineer02

I did as you said and hooked it back up
and the green power indicator on the power
supply did not come on.

Robert

David H. Lipman

From: said:
I did as you said and hooked it back up
and the green power indicator on the power
supply did not come on.

Robert

Then you have a bad power supply, power cable or it is not getting AC.

magineer02

Yes, but that doesn't explain when I put
the HD back in the 8200 it won't boot.

I did try a couple of outlets when testing
the power supply just in case.

I can understand if I hooked things up wrong
regarding the adapter but the HD was working
in the 8200 now its not.

So even if I bought a new adapter I'm somewhat
skeptical of it working.

Robert

dadiOH

J. P. Gilliver (John) said:
dadiOH <[email protected]> said:
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote in message

In message <[email protected]>,

(I'll let the others tackle this bit as I don't know IE, certainly
not the 7/8 versions. Probably worth saying how you exported them -
importing may be a similar exercise.)

Surely you jest. Links are internet shortcuts. They are an URL. All

It still isn't _entirely_ clear what he means by "links", though it
does indeed seem he means URLs (favorites/bookmarks).

But what do you mean by "they are an URL" - a text file containing a
URL? A shortcut file? A text or other file containing lots of them?

I mean they are internet shortcuts. A small file listing the address of a
web page. One can create them in "Favorites": on a browser or just drag
them from the site to wherever one wants them. Doesn't matter where they
are, click on one, browser reads the address and goes flying off to download
and diaplay whatever is there.
___________
Where to?

Wherever he wants them. Win 7 (and Win8) has a "Favorites" folder under his
user name...if he puts them there they will function just as they always
have.

If he puts them in a folder somewhere else they won't be shown in the
browser but if he opens the folder and clicks on one it will function
exactly as it would in the Favorites" folder.
____________
I wasn't, but since someone else had said that and he'd done it, it
seemed the simplest way to carry on with that.

I can't see that it is simpler than just copying off what he wants on the
old machine onto any portable media and copying from that to his new
machine. What could be easier?

--

dadiOH

dadiOH

When I re-install the HD in the 8200 it no longer functions
and will not boot.

I'm wondering if Win 7 modified the master boot record. I certainly
wouldn't think so but I don't know, just asking.

--

dadiOH