Saving downloaded images

I'm running an HP desktop with 1.39 GHz and 512 MB Ram with Win XP Home
upgraded from Win ME that came on the computer. I can only save pictures from
the Internet as bitmaps even though it says it's a jpeg in the title bar.
I've looked around on the Internet to see what's the matter and nothing seems
to work. I've found help that says my Internet cache is full but it's not.
There's nothing going into the cache! It takes as long to "re-load" a page as
it did the first time I opened it. My Norton System Works 2005 Disc Doctor
says I have a damaged (truncated?) Pre-fetch file (Drive
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\NDD32.EXE-15824B68.pf first allocation unit is not valid.
The entry will be truncated.) I've run Windows Check Disc with all options
checked to try to fix it but it says there's nothing wrong. I've run System
File Checker with the Upgrade CD from Windows ME to Windows XP Home and the
Win XP SP1 and SP2 CD's and that won't fix it either. Is there any way to
delete this file and replace it? I can find this file with Window's Search
program on my "C" drive but I can't find it on any of my XP CD's. I've run a
free clean up program called "CleanUp!" by Steven R. Gould (good clean up
tool) with a browser window open. Could this have damaged my pre-fetch?
By the way #1; I have two damaged ActiveX files also,
{9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} and
{CEBC955E-58AF-11D2-A30A-00A0C903492B}
By the way #2; I wish I had made some back ups to restore from. <G>
If there's any way you can help me, a computer novice, I'd be forever
grateful.
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Hans Le Roy

Hi,

You'll have to empty the cache:IE, Tools, Internet Options, Delete files.

Kind regards

Hans Le Roy
MS MVP Win/IE-OE

Don Varnau

Hi,
Try deleting the Temporary Internet Files folder. It may be corrupted or may
have an unnecessarily large index.dat file. Login as administrator (safe
mode) or another user with admin privileges to delete the TIF folder from
Windows Explorer. I would set the size of the new TIF folder to 50-60 MB.

Damaged files in the Downloaded Program Files folder may be deleted.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Jan Il

Hi Mikej :)

In addition to the information provided by Hans and Don, you might also take
a look at the following:

Internet Explorer Does Not Save Graphics Files in the Proper Format
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260650

Right-Clicking, Selecting 'Save Picture As' Does Not Save Image with Correct
Extension
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/250747

FAQ - Why can't I save .jpg, .gif or .png images in their original format
in Microsoft Internet Explorer?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupfaq.mspx

Hope this helps :)

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Thank you for your help,
I tried this but I still have my problem. The cache has nothing in it to
delete except cookies.

Thanks for your help Don,
I'm a little nervous about trying your suggestions but I need to do
something, I've been trying to fix this for weeks. I'm a computer novice so
could we go into a little more detail? I'll restart my computer in safe mode
by tapping the F8 key as it starts. Then, where do I find the Temporary
Internet Files Folder to delete it? Windows Explorer, My computer, "C" Drive,
then??? Will a new TIF be created automatically? If I delete these two
damaged Active X files (Tools, Internet Options, Settings, View Objects),
will they be recreated automatically?
Thank you so much again,
mikej

Mikej said:
[...]

Mike,
The (possibly corrupt) TIF folder will be at C:\Documents and Settings\{your
username}\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files" A new TIF folder willl be
created on restart.

Anything in C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files can be removed. If a website
needs one of those objects, it will be offered to you on the next visit.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Thanks again Don,
I can't find the TIF folder with Windows Explorer but I did find it with
Search. As a matter of fact, I found FOUR Temporay Internet Files. ? They are
in
C:\Documents and Settings\Default\Local Settings
C:\Documents and Settings\HP Authorized Customer\Local Settings
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings
Should I start in Safe Mode and try to delete ALL of them? Or just certain
ones?
I'm sorry to be such a pain but I'm fairly new at this kind of stuff.
mikej

"Mikej" <Mikej[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

mikej said:
Thanks again Don,
I can't find the TIF folder with Windows Explorer but I did find it with
Search. As a matter of fact, I found FOUR Temporay Internet Files. ? They
are
in
C:\Documents and Settings\Default\Local Settings
C:\Documents and Settings\HP Authorized Customer\Local Settings
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings
Should I start in Safe Mode and try to delete ALL of them? Or just certain
ones?
I'm sorry to be such a pain but I'm fairly new at this kind of stuff.
mikej

You want the one for whatever user you are using.

In IE go to Tools | Internet Options | Settings and see what it tells you.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Thanks Frank,
I found HP Authorized Customer\Local Settings in IE where you told me to
look. I'll give it a try Sunday when I get a day off in case My computer
catches fire. <GRIN>
Thanks again,
Mike

Hi Don.
I started in Safe Mode, found the TIF folders with Search and tried to
delete the one that was in the Internet Settings. It won't let me delete it.
It says TIF is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run
properly. It cannot be deleted.
mikej

mikej said:
[...]

Hi Frank.

mikej said:
[...]

Hi again, Frank,
I've tried this several times and it doesn't change anything. I still have
the same problem. If I click the Settings, View Files (even before I delete
anything) there's nothing in the cache except cookies. There's NO files in
the TIF cache. Before I had this problem, if I Viewed files in the cache,
there'd be a lot of pictures and things. Since the problem with the bmp only
extension being forced onto pictures I'm trying to save, when I view files
there's NOTHING there. I think I read somewhere that if there's nothing in
the TIF cache, Windiws defaults to bmp. How can I get Window's IE to start
saving things in the IE TIF cache again? Was that a good idea about the TIF
may be damaged and to delete it and let Windows re-create the TIF folder
again? I have tried to delete the TIF that appears in IE Options Settings but
Windows won't let me. Is there a way around this?
Thanks so much for sticking with me on this Frank. Hope you can help me.
mikej

Jon Kennedy

You'll need to log in via another account with administrator privileges and
delete the TIF folder from there. You cannot delete a TIF folder from the
same account you are logged in as.

Thanks Jon, I'll give it a try.
When I start in Safe mode, it gives me two options to sign in. One is Mike
j, me I think, and the other is Administrator. Anyway the one I click on is
Mike J. I guess you mean I should click on Administrator? I never set up a
Password or anything for this. Will I need one or will it just let me go
ahead?
Really appreeciate your help. Thanks again,
mikej