SAVENOW & NEWDOTNET

Reaction score
I thought that I should post my experience with this since I've found nothing on the forums mentioning these troublesome programs. But if I've missed any, or shouldn't have posted this here, please accept my apologies. I do not want others to go through the scare that I did.

Simply put, if you download a file that asks you to install WhenUSaveNow and/or NewDotNet (usually from filesubmit.com) DO NOT INSTALL IT. Both of these programs "claim" that they are not spyware or adware...what a load of crap. WhenUSaveNow IS adware. From my experience with it, it slows down your internet, constantly downloads new "bargains" to pop up during your browsing, and 99.9 percent of the time the "bargains" are just junk. WhenUSaveNow is easy to remove...unlike Newdotnet.

I don't quite understand what NewDotNet is supposed to do. Other than acting suspicious and not allowing you to completely uninstall it. Sure, you can run it's uninstallation program. But it leaves behind 1 .dll file that absolutely refuses to be deleted. It'll either give you a "Access Denied" error or claim that it is in use. I ended all processes running under my username and then tried to delete it. "File is in use." I happened to have downloaded TuneUp Utilities 2007 a few days ago, and opened it's Startup Manager to have a look at what was going on. NEWDOT~1 was set to run at startup. So I disabled it, deleted EVERYTHING related to this program, and destroyed it's entries in the registry manually. After restarting, it reinstalled itself and there I was, back to square one. With an abnormally slow internet, and my browser going nuts.

Since I couldn't delete it in normal mode, I went into safe mode to try my luck there. I was sucessful in removing it from the system and the registry...big mistake. It took a vital system file, RunDLL32.exe with it. I couldn't open many programs..and my system was, overall, failing. I happened to remember a folder in my C drive named I386. Which contained 951 MB of backup system files. Luckily, RunDLL32.exe was one of them. I moved it to the SYSTEM32 folder and rebooted. Everything was fixed, and it had been completely wiped from the system.

So that's the long story..and to put it short..DO NOT DOWNLOAD WHENUSAVENOW & NEWDOTNET!!!!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sad to see people still being effected & infected with these nasties ... most of us here are aware of these "programs" and know better.

May I add some more to your list ...

WhenU Save!
Download Accelerator Plus
ABetterInternet (Aurora)
Weatherbug
180search Assistant
SearchMiracle/Elitebar
Tracking cookie (Doubleclick)
New.net
CoolWebSearch (HomeSearchAssistant)
IBIS Websearch/Wintools
GAIN OfferCompanion
Hotbar

All are supposedly genuine programs ... many good anti-spyware programs will/should detect most if not all the above as nasties.

Thanks for posting your experience ... hope it helps others.

I can highly recommend anyone to check out one of the best maintained lists of rouge Anti-Spyware programs ...

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

:thumb:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I have been slapped with newdot net
ol Ad-aware got em, then to get rid of the dll file, safe mode

Ask a Question