save settings problem?

G

posted yesterday and got some help from doug, ran anti virus but nothing there, am interested to find an answer to why or what is causing this now its got me intrigued

just a simple one i have changed something and now everytime i turn my pc off and back on i lose my task bar settings, i have display icons on desktop set and when it turns back on its changed back to default by the look of it, just forgot how to save setting as default for this user.

doug replied

Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
Look in the right pane for a value called NoSaveSettings. If it exists, it should be set to 0 (zero). If not, double click it and set it to 0. If it doesn't exist, right click in a blank area of the right pane, select New, DWord value and name it NoSaveSettings. Leave it at 0.

i got back

no still changed i right click task bar take all tool bars off then put desktop on take show text off re boot and its back to links and search assistant In windows 98 couldn't you save settings on exit.

then advised to

Yes, and its the same with Windows XP. These settings are saved at log off. Occassionally the associated registry value/key gets corrupted and needs to be deleted.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop
In the right pane, delete the values TaskbarWinXP and Toolbars (right click each and select Delete). Then click Start, Run and enter TASKMGR.EXE Go to the Processes tab and locate the EXPLORER.EXE process. Highlight it and click End Process. Then go to File, New Task and enter EXPLORER.EXE
Your taskbar should now be clear of any toolbars, and you can add any that you want back. Log off/log on for the changes to be saved.

i replied

hi doug done that and what it did before i logged off was take off my desktop, but it left on search assistant toolbar and quicklaunch, will boot down now and see what happens, thanks for the time
and then after reboot replied

ok its now getting interesting as when i rebooted it did the same thing but my norton anti virus had been turned off disabled? have enabled it and put the desktop back on taskbar and am running for virus's sounds like i may have one.

Ran norton and no virus, totally upto date with new virus
Just interesting to find out whats causing it?

R

Ramesh [MVP]

Hi Phil,

Replied to the original thread. Please check there.

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

The Parasite Fight:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php

posted yesterday and got some help from doug, ran anti virus but nothing there, am interested to find an answer to why or what is causing this now its got me intrigued

just a simple one i have changed something and now everytime i turn my pc off and back on i lose my task bar settings, i have display icons on desktop set and when it turns back on its changed back to default by the look of it, just forgot how to save setting as default for this user.

doug replied

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
Look in the right pane for a value called NoSaveSettings. If it exists, it should be set to 0 (zero). If not, double click it and set it to 0. If it doesn't exist, right click in a blank area of the right pane, select New, DWord value and name it NoSaveSettings. Leave it at 0.

i got back

no still changed i right click task bar take all tool bars off then put desktop on take show text off re boot and its back to links and search assistant In windows 98 couldn't you save settings on exit.

then advised to

Yes, and its the same with Windows XP. These settings are saved at log off. Occassionally the associated registry value/key gets corrupted and needs to be deleted.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop
In the right pane, delete the values TaskbarWinXP and Toolbars (right click each and select Delete). Then click Start, Run and enter TASKMGR.EXE Go to the Processes tab and locate the EXPLORER.EXE process. Highlight it and click End Process. Then go to File, New Task and enter EXPLORER.EXE
Your taskbar should now be clear of any toolbars, and you can add any that you want back. Log off/log on for the changes to be saved.

i replied

hi doug done that and what it did before i logged off was take off my desktop, but it left on search assistant toolbar and quicklaunch, will boot down now and see what happens, thanks for the time
and then after reboot replied

ok its now getting interesting as when i rebooted it did the same thing but my norton anti virus had been turned off disabled? have enabled it and put the desktop back on taskbar and am running for virus's sounds like i may have one.

Ran norton and no virus, totally upto date with new virus
Just interesting to find out whats causing it?

Ask a Question