Runtime error IE

Hello I hope someone can help me Just about everytime I close all IE browser
windows I get a message about an error.It says it is a runtime error 216 at
014C38EA I have seached the help ans support and found nothing.If anyone has
had this problem or knows how to fix it please help.

Thanks
Jeff

Don Varnau

Hi,
It's likely that another program is causing this- possibly legitimate-
possibly malware.

[XP SP2] From IE> Tools> Manage add-ons. Disable non-microsoft add-ons to
see if one of them is the culprit.
[Non SP2] Internet Options> Advanced> uncheck "Enable third-party browser
extensions." If either of these helps, you still need to find the
troublesome program, BHO or add-on.

Toolbar Cop from http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Toolkit.htm can help identify
and remove add-ons, BHOs, etc.

Disable (for diagnostic purposes) programs such as pop-up blockers,
security, toolbars and other add-ons for IE, anti-virus, etc. Take a look at
any program that might be interfering with IE. You may have to reconfigure,
reinstall, or not reinstall, a program.

* Important... Turn on the Windows Firewall (from Control Panel or Security
Center) before disabling a third-party firewall.

See these sites for help with malware:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Malware Removal and Prevention Overview - CastleCopsWiki:
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Overview
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.html
Removing Malware:
827315- Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software:
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Thanks Don
I disabled all NonMicrosoft add-ons and when I shut down all IE windows I
got the messgage again.But there is a window that pops up first that says
iexplorer.exe-Application Error
The Instruction at 0x015438ac referenced memory at 0x01633c74 the memroy
could not be read : ckick ok to terminate
once you terminate the error message pops up saying what I said before.

Jcriver442 said:
Hello I hope someone can help me Just about everytime I close all IE browser
windows I get a message about an error.It says it is a runtime error 216 at
014C38EA I have seached the help ans support and found nothing.If anyone has
had this problem or knows how to fix it please help.

Thanks
Jeff

Don Varnau

Hi,
Keep looking at ther programs which could be causing this. Disable (briefly-
as a test) antivirus, security suites, adware/spyware blockers, etc.
Remember- don't put Windows XP on the internet without a firewall.

If you're sure that it's not one of those programs, start looking for
malware.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Jcriver442 said:
Hello I hope someone can help me Just about everytime I close all IE browser
windows I get a message about an error.It says it is a runtime error
216
at
014C38EA I have seached the help ans support and found nothing.If
anyone
has
had this problem or knows how to fix it please help.

Thanks
Jeff

Thanks Don I did find more programs and disabled them. Once I disabled them
all the message stopped.I have started to enable them one at a time to see
which one is causing the problem.I dont think it is Malware as I run Spybot
Adaware and Microsofts spyware.Never find anything.I am using Avast Virus
protection seems to work great.

"Jcriver442" <Jcriver442[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Hello I hope someone can help me Just about everytime I close all IE
browser
windows I get a message about an error.It says it is a runtime error 216
at
014C38EA I have seached the help ans support and found nothing.If anyone
has
had this problem or knows how to fix it please help.

Thanks
Jeff

Don, I am also getting a runtime error message:

When I try to launch IE (first in 6.0, now in 7.0 B3) I get an the following:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library:
Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contqact the application's support team for more information.

I have tried to "repair" the installation w/o success. I installed 7.0 B3 in
the hope that a new installation would fix the problem, but it didn't!

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Jcriver442 said:
Hello I hope someone can help me Just about everytime I close all IE browser
windows I get a message about an error.It says it is a runtime error 216 at
014C38EA I have seached the help ans support and found nothing.If anyone has
had this problem or knows how to fix it please help.

Thanks
Jeff

I would try what Don said about turning off all add-ons Disable all of them
and see what happens.If that fixes the error start enabling the add-ons 1 at
a time.that is what I did and the problem is fixed.

Jcriver442 said:
Hello I hope someone can help me Just about everytime I close all IE browser
windows I get a message about an error.It says it is a runtime error 216 at
014C38EA I have seached the help ans support and found nothing.If anyone has
had this problem or knows how to fix it please help.

Thanks
Jeff

Thanks for the suggestion, but how do I do that if IE won't start?

Jcriver442 said:
Hello I hope someone can help me Just about everytime I close all IE browser
windows I get a message about an error.It says it is a runtime error 216 at
014C38EA I have seached the help ans support and found nothing.If anyone has
had this problem or knows how to fix it please help.

Thanks
Jeff

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Control Panel | Internet Options

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

wadp1 said:
Don, I am also getting a runtime error message:

When I try to launch IE (first in 6.0, now in 7.0 B3) I get an the
following:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library:
Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
way.
Please contqact the application's support team for more information.

I have tried to "repair" the installation w/o success. I installed 7.0 B3
in
the hope that a new installation would fix the problem, but it didn't!

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Uninstall the Google toolbar.

Frank,

Thank you very much--I have disabled the Google toolbar and its "helper" and
it seems to have done the trick!

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

wadp1 said:
Frank,

Thank you very much--I have disabled the Google toolbar and its "helper"
and
it seems to have done the trick!

Thanks for the feedback.