Run Linux applications on Windows

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've seen some software before which enables some Linux applications to run under Windows XP and allow them to take advantage of ports etc... just as a normal Linux app could.

Does anyone know how I could do this?

I've found an application which suits my needs exactly (PCB Designer/Plotter) but there are only linux binaries. I'm not sure how I could port it, as it does include the source code.

If worst comes to worst I can always dual boot or use Knoppix, but I'd like this to run in a windows environment.

Reaction score
you could use some type of vmware type solution, have *nix running in a virtual machine perhaps :)

Sil

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cheers Sil, might have to go for that route. I did find something called "LINE" (the opposite software solution to WINE it seems), so it might be able to run Linux apps well. I'll give it a try this week once the machine arrives that I need it for :)

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Cheers Sil, might have to go for that route. I did find something called "LINE" (the opposite software solution to WINE it seems), so it might be able to run Linux apps well. I'll give it a try this week once the machine arrives that I need it for :)

that sounds handy :)

do you have a url, I did a quick google search but didn't see it?

Sil

PS, I run http://www.cygwin.com/ on my windows boxes when I need to do the odd bit of *nix type stuff from within windows - but you'd still probably need to port your app to that anyway as it's not quite *nix :)

Reaction score
Very late reply

I know it's been some time since this post. however I run Solaris and Suse as well as win2k as virtual machines with microsofts Virtual PC, for those of you as old as me you may remember this was a Mac product. It works great that is in my case Suse Linux doesn't like my nvidia 5200 card and runs at a weak res. I even have drag and drop between Windows OS, my host OS is WinXP pro sp2

My works
Intel D865PERL brd 800 Mhz FSB L2 512
SATA 120 GB Seagate Barracuda
512 DDR400
Nvidia FX 5200EP <suckie

Ask a Question