Linux on a USB Stick?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, you could indeed do that :)

But, you can probably save yourself some money as you can do the exact same thing from a USB stick you already own or even from burning a DVD. The download page for ubuntu is here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

You'd want to use the "Try it" option when booting from DVD/USB, rather than selecting install. I do this every so often just to have a play with Linux. The "show me how" buttons on that page should give you a good tutorial on how to do it, but if you want to try it yourself there are plenty of us that can help :).

Reaction score
Thanks for that Ian.
I have ordered the usb drive as when i tried to install it myself i mucked it up!:blush:
But may have another go at xmas whilst waiting for the linux usb stick to arrive.

Really want to get using linux as it's the cheaper option to running microsoft.
We do use openoffice which i think someone here got us using a few years ago.
Will post back on how i get on with it.

Thanks in advance to any linux guru's who post after this to offer more advice or help.
Thanks again.

Exmoor

Reaction score
Sorry forgot to ask the following.:blush:
Which is the best version of linux to go for for a new peson to it?
And best place to download it from?
Is it better to dual boot it, put it on a disc and run it "live" or on to a usb stick?
How much roughly will it fill on the HDD (ok that depends on what i install?)
How much RAM is needed?
Star Office or OpenOffice?
And apart from this great site any others to look at?

Sorry for all the questions, but keen to start using something thats free to use.
Sorry Mr Gates but i dont want to make you any richer!!:drool:

Reaction score
I would personal reconmend that you run it from a live cd/dvd for a first time user to see how you get on with the UI. Ubuntu is a good place to start and has a nice looking UI for first time users, also you are able to install there live cd/dvd so if you like it you can then install and dual boot if you wanted to.

Hardware specs really depend on what you want to use it for but it is always best to follow the min specs just to be safe.

I like openoffice over star office but if you go for a live CD i would just stick with what is already installed on the disk.

If you want another option to install but without dual boot you may want to look into VM's and there are many products on the market that will do this some free some not but give it a quick google if your interested.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Sorry forgot to ask the following.:blush:
Which is the best version of linux to go for for a new peson to it?
And best place to download it from?
Is it better to dual boot it, put it on a disc and run it "live" or on to a usb stick?
How much roughly will it fill on the HDD (ok that depends on what i install?)
How much RAM is needed?
Star Office or OpenOffice?
And apart from this great site any others to look at?

Sorry for all the questions, but keen to start using something thats free to use.
Sorry Mr Gates but i dont want to make you any richer!!:drool:

Linux Mint
http://linuxmint.com/
If you have limited disk space then running a live CD or booting from USB is better.
Linux isn't a very big OS so around 15 gig will be fine.
Linux can run pretty much on the lowest spec machines. 128mb is enough to run it.
Open Office, but there again I haven't used Star Office.

Mr Gates won't mind, he is so rich he has decided to give away a third of his wealth to charity ( $28 billion )

Ask a Question