Rule for SMTP Alias using Outlook 2003

G

Hello
We have users who have 'alias' SMTP addresses assigned to their account in Active Directory

Examples: The primary SMTP email address is (e-mail address removed) and they have secondary (alias) SMTP email address of (e-mail address removed)

I need to setup a rule in Outlook 2003, that if an external email comming in is addressed TO: or CC: (e-mail address removed) to move it to a folder that is a sub-folder of the inbox. To keep things organized/seperate

I think because my clients are MAPI, it is not reading the smtp address TO: and CC: correctly, because all mail addressed to both (e-mail address removed) and (e-mail address removed) all just sit in the users inbox and are never moved. Evertime I try to create such a rule and I type in to apply the rule to (e-mail address removed) then Active Directory automatically resolves it to the primary smtp address, then ALL mail sent toboth account is moved, and that is not what we are looking for

Incase it matters this is a Windows 2003 AD Domain in native mode with Exchange 2003 using Outlook 2003 clients. Can anyone help me setup a rule that will accomplish this? There must be lots of you admins out there who have multiple alias SMTP addresses that use Outlook rules to keep things organized. ([email protected] (e-mail address removed) (e-mail address removed) etc

Thank you very much for your time
(e-mail address removed)

R

Roady [MVP]

You can create a rule that is not based on contacts but based on specific
words in the recipient address or header. If you use this as your rule it
should work

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Creating Signatures
-Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3

G

Hello
Thanks for the reply. I think I have tried that rule. The one I think you are refering to is labeled
"with specific words in the receipient's address

I put 'webmaster' (without quotes) and then the complete rule looks like this

Apply this rule after the message arrive
with webmaster in the recipient's addres
move it the Webmaster folde

This does not move any emails anywhere, they all stay in the inbox.
Is this the rule you were refering to? If not, please explain which rule you are talking about because I am eager to resolve this simple issue

Do you use any rule such as this in your production environement successfully

Thanks again
(e-mail address removed)

R

Roady [MVP]

Yes, it works in my production environment but it only works with mail that
comes in from the Internet. When you try it internally the address gets
resolved to the name of the user/mailbox. If the rule still doesn't work for
you you can also choose the rule "with specific words in the message
header". This works only for messages received from the Internet as well.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Creating Signatures
-Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3

G

Thanks!
'with specific words in the message header' seems to have done the trick!

Ask a Question