Room for another software category?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hellooo, :wave:

It's only a thought, but do you suppose it might be useful to add another "General" category in the Software Forum, specifically for the software apps which will work across all OS platforms?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
An interesting idea TC :) My only concern would be that it would remain quite a quiet forum as most software is OS specific, or the support question would relate to the OS version anyway.

I'd be interested to hear what others think too, and if it looks like it would get plenty of use then I might give it a go
nod.gif

The forum sections have been condensed down quite a bit since the first categories existed, as they appeared sparse (i.e. Hardware is now only 3 categories and it works much better :thumb: )

edit: Do you mean cross platform as in Windows & Linux, or as in Vista/XP/98? (or both :lol: ).

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Ian,

Yes, I was really thinking about some of the applications which will work on Vista/XP/Linux etc., or where download pages contain versions for all platforms.

It occurred to me that occasionally, someone mentions an application (or software) which doesn't fall into the other categories (such as XP/Vista, or security/spyware or gaming category... such as my Shell Extensions post, which made me puzzle a bit over where to put it, before it ended-up in the General Discussion area. lol) But on the other hand... I can see your point too, that it might not be a particularly busy area. :nod:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I see your point, confusing isn't it! I'd probably have put it in GD too :)

I'll have a look at other forums during the week and see what sort of section organisation they use to give me some ideas on tweaking.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just for you TC ;)

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/forum-325.php

I had a think on it and looked at other ways of re-naming categories, but you are totally correct when you say the old way is confusing - hopefully the new "general software" category will make more sense :) I'm going to start moving old threads into this category today to populate it (along with the new Windows 7 section).

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi there Ian - my goodness, you've really been busy on this, but it's looking good :thumb: Great idea to have a category for Windows 7, too, that should be very interesting :nod:

Cheers to the new categories:
champagne-1.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
looking good Ian. :)

Just noticed something.

In the only thread in the Win7 section. https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3725375.php

You see it has the thread title next to the 'Post Reply' button above the thread in bold black? Thats not in any other section. :)

EDIT: Its in the General Software section too, so just the new ones then. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks V_R, I'll see if I can fix this now :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
That looks great far easier on the eye too...Good stuff Taff's for the idea and Ian for the implementation..:nod: :thumb:

Ask a Question