RIPREP images suddently stopped working

Jim Watts

Hi,

I've been using a RIPREP'd image of a WindowsXP wokstation for months now
without problems, just recloning the system each time i need to start
afresh. All of a sudden, during the RIS setup of the workstation i get the
message:

Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged.

This happens on all systems i try now, including the one that the RIPREP was
taken from. Can anybody give me an idea what has gone wrong? Is it a change
thats been made to the RIS server, or is it an error caused by a hotifx etc
to the server (which has taken all available patches directly from our SUS
server). I've done the usual checking, and everything on the net says its to
do with the size of the disk, but this is less than 30GB (which apprently is
the issue) and has always worked before.

The Server is Windows2000 SP3 and the RIPREP'd image contains WindowsXP SP1.
All of my normal RIS setup builds work (RISETUP, rather than RIPREP), so its
only the RIPREP'd ones that fail.

Many thanks for any assistance
--
Jim Watts,
Technology Consultant

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Hello Jim,

Thank you for your post.

Yes, this kind of issue is likely related to the disk size. We have
troubleshooted several similar issues before.

To narrow down this problem, let's perform the following tests:

1. Please update the latest BIOS on the RIS client. (Please contact the
hardware manufacturer if necessary.)

2. Please check the latest hotfixes which were applied recently. If
possible, please remove them and try if the problem disappears. If so,
please reapply these hotfixes one by one and check which one causes this
problem.

3. Is the original image built on a FAT32 partition? Please recreate a new
RIPREP image and check if the problem still persists.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you and have a nice day!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

|From: "Jim Watts" <[email protected]>
|Subject: RIPREP images suddently stopped working
|Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 18:10:12 -0000
|Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployme
nt

|Hi,
|
|I've been using a RIPREP'd image of a WindowsXP wokstation for months now
|without problems, just recloning the system each time i need to start
|afresh. All of a sudden, during the RIS setup of the workstation i get the
|message:
|
| Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged.
|
|This happens on all systems i try now, including the one that the RIPREP
was
|taken from. Can anybody give me an idea what has gone wrong? Is it a change
|thats been made to the RIS server, or is it an error caused by a hotifx etc
|to the server (which has taken all available patches directly from our SUS
|server). I've done the usual checking, and everything on the net says its
|do with the size of the disk, but this is less than 30GB (which apprently
is
|the issue) and has always worked before.
|
|The Server is Windows2000 SP3 and the RIPREP'd image contains WindowsXP
SP1.
|All of my normal RIS setup builds work (RISETUP, rather than RIPREP), so
its
|only the RIPREP'd ones that fail.
|
|Many thanks for any assistance
|--
|Jim Watts,
|Technology Consultant
|Directories, Authentication and Border Security
|Information Systems Services
|University of Southampton

Jim Watts

Joe,

Thanks for the response. I've had some very strange results from your
suggestions, but with a successful outcome.

1) BIOS update for client PC. I can't find an update, and it is a very old
system. I've contact the supplier and will wait to see if anything comes of
it. However, as it worked previously, i don't think this is an issue.

2) Patches.

I removed all patches applied in the last two months (which takes a very
long time to do!), but it didnt help as the format still failed. I then
reapplied the patches but again no success.

I then removed and reinstalled RIS on the server, and fed it a new image of
Windows XP SP1 when prompted by the installation wizard. Again no, luck.

Finally i gave the server SP4, but this also failed to make a difference.

I then went home for the weekend, following extensive testing of all
combinations i could think of. When i returned this morning, i started
another build, just so i could check a few things before writing to this
news group, and it worked! I have no explanation of why it didnt work on
Friday, but does today, other than *maybe* SIS took sometime to get the disk
back up to date after the reinstallation of RIS or SP4?

Any explanations would be really well received here

Jim
--
Jim Watts,
Technology Consultant
Directories, Authentication and Border Security
Information Systems Services
University of Southampton

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Dear Jim,

Thank you for your update and for taking the time to work on this problem.

Based on the information we collected, it is hard to identify the root
cause of this RIPREP problem. It may have been resolved by the Windows 2000
Service Pack, or may have been related to the network conditions.

Please monitor this server for several more days to ensure that the problem
is completely resolved. If the problem comes back, please feel free to let
us know.

It is my pleasure to work with you. Thank you for using our news groups,
and have a nice day!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

|From: "Jim Watts" <[email protected]>
|Subject: Re: RIPREP images suddently stopped working
|Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:08:29 -0000
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
|Joe,
|
|Thanks for the response. I've had some very strange results from your
|suggestions, but with a successful outcome.
|
|1) BIOS update for client PC. I can't find an update, and it is a very old
|system. I've contact the supplier and will wait to see if anything comes of
|it. However, as it worked previously, i don't think this is an issue.
|
|2) Patches.
|
|I removed all patches applied in the last two months (which takes a very
|long time to do!), but it didnt help as the format still failed. I then
|reapplied the patches but again no success.
|
|I then removed and reinstalled RIS on the server, and fed it a new image of
|Windows XP SP1 when prompted by the installation wizard. Again no, luck.
|
|Finally i gave the server SP4, but this also failed to make a difference.
|
|I then went home for the weekend, following extensive testing of all
|combinations i could think of. When i returned this morning, i started
|another build, just so i could check a few things before writing to this
|news group, and it worked! I have no explanation of why it didnt work on
|Friday, but does today, other than *maybe* SIS took sometime to get the
disk
|back up to date after the reinstallation of RIS or SP4?
|
|Any explanations would be really well received here
|
|Jim
|--