Riaa

Reaction score
see comments taken from computeractive

RIAA sued for malicious prosecution

Oregon mother files suit claiming 'repulsive accusations'

Iain Thomson, vnunet.com 28 Jun 2007

An Oregon mother has filed suit against the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) after the organisation withdrew a two-year legal case against her for alleged file sharing.

Tanya Andersen and her eight year-old daughter were charged with downloading gangster rap and other music.

Andersen, who is disabled and a single mother, denied the claims and the RIAA decided to drop the case earlier this month.

The woman has now filed papers to sue not only the RIAA but MediaSentry, a firm which collects evidence of alleged file sharing activity.

Andersen claimed that she asked the RIAA investigators to check out her computer for illegally obtained material, but that they preferred to take legal action, claiming that they knew the time of the file sharing and the user name she was using.

"Instead of dismissing their false claims the defendant record companies persisted in their malicious prosecution and publicly libelled her with demeaning and repulsive accusations," the court papers read.

"She has no interest in the violent, profane, misogynistic and racist music that the RIAA and its controlling member companies monopolise."

The RIAA then agreed to inspect Andersen's computer and found no trace of any shared music nor the software to do so.

Nevertheless, the RIAA still asked for payment and demanded that Andersen's daughter stand trial with her.

The RIAA was also accused of telephoning the child's school and asking to speak to her by pretending to be her grandmother.

If the RIAA loses this case, and others, it could open the floodgates to similar cases and force the organisation to rethink its policy.

If the riaa did ring her school and asking to speak to her , the mother does have a case here.

Does anyone know any case where the riaa have lost?

I think a company called cd-wow got fine for selling cheap cd but real, this was all down to the tax here.

I can,t speak for people outside the uk but if the tax was alot lower maybe people would stop using p2p.

How many people on here download torrent like music,apps,films?

They are not going to say on here but i bet they do.

Last edited:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Lets hope she has a case against these greedy companys...:nod:

I have an 8 year old daughter and the only things she's interested in is Scooby doo and her barbie dolls, and Nintendogz on her Gameboy micro...

Trying to trap an 8 year old child by phoning the school and pretending to be a grandparent is sick, and these so called giants of hollywood need to be taught a lesson....

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Lets hope she has a case against these greedy companys...:nod:

I have an 8 year old daughter and the only things she's interested in is Scooby doo and her barbie dolls, and Nintendogz on her Gameboy micro...

Trying to trap an 8 year old child by phoning the school and pretending to be a grandparent is sick, and these so called giants of hollywood need to be taught a lesson....

Steady on there old chap , you are talking about the good ol us of a the land of the free an all that
laughingsmiley.gif
An I agree that it is disgusting but hey when its the mighty american dollar thats involved anything goes :p

As to michael555's qustion , I do download with p2p and torrents and jolly good fun they are too as you can see if you use this link ,

http://www.legaltorrents.com/index.htm

Star Wreck In The Pirkinning and Blue are my favourites :p
laughingsmiley.gif

Ask a Question