Reviews?

Reaction score
Like loads of sensible people I try to check out reviews of kit before I consider buying it...BUT...
Isn't a review just one person's opinion?

What makes an opinion worth paying attention to?
The name of the magazine?
The rep of the website?

How do we know that the opionion expressed isn't just a repetition of someone else?

Does anyone know of two totally opposite oppinions of any IT kit?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm like you and I always have a google before I buy any expensive bit of kit (computer bits, mobile phone etc...). I think something that really helps is to also check forums across the net for comments, as any problems with that specific make or model will quickly surface there :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ialways search for rviews and test reports and never really just trust what one says . Say for example a graphics card , I'll look at several test reports and if their figures match up and the coments are similar then I'll generally trust what is being said . Add to this comments on forums and I'll usually feel pretty safe in the choices I make .
nod.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Only one area where I excercise caution, where a review's source - be it a magazine or web site - takes big advertising revenue from a company whose product they've praised.

Bit of a no-brainer really yet still idiots fall for it, just take a look at our Mesh thread...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Found the following quote from an on-line review of a keyboard and it seemed darn good advice .

Caveat emptor. Do your research and make sure you know what you are buying, and why. Read reviews and toss out the highest and lowest scoring reviews, go with the middle and you'll get the best representation of the overall quality and reliability of these products.

user.gif

Ask a Question