Retrieving Vista mail folders when restoring from Back up

Charles Barber

Having had to do a complete restore I find that only a few of my email
folders have returned; there appears to be
a largish quantity in MSMESSAGESTORE file (3042KB)- can they be recovered
from there?

Also my ITunes files have completely disappeared.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks/
Charlie

Gary VanderMolen

No. That file is a database that contains metadata for the messages, but not the
messages themselves. Search for *.eml files.
In the same directory where you found WindowsMail.MSMessageStore, did you
not also see a folder named Local Folders? Open it.

Also, verify that Windows Mail has the correct location for the message store:
Tools, Options, Advanced, Maintenance, Store Folder.
The default location is:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)