Restricting bandwith

Reaction score
Here i go, I have a wireless setup in my house so my sister can access the internet on her computer when needs be, although what is getting on my nerves is when i am online gaming i get lag so bad i have to quit what i am doing because she on msn

My friend said somthing about restricting the bandwith but he didnt say how too, so my question to all you lot is how can i restrict my sisters bandwith so i dont get lag, the most intensive lag time for me is when she is on MSN so she needs enough bandwith just for that and nomore...

To do this is it easy ? i am using Linkys Broadband router, also would it be a good idea to upgrade the internet connecton ?

thanks for your time
G~MAN

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure on how you can throttle bandwidth for clients when powered from a router, but someone here may know of a way. Try looking for some software that you can run on your sisters PC that can limit the bandwidth when you are playing games (as if she just uses MSN it won't make a difference).

I'll see if I can find any too, but check www.download.com and www.tucows.com for bandwidth throttling software and there should be some :)

Reaction score
thanks hehe

i loaded the one i linked, and i was thinking huh ?!

so i deleted it straight away :) il just try out the one you linked and fingers crossed it doesnt confuse me :p

Reaction score
Isnt that a bit mean, restricting your sister for your own benefit? Surely she has as much right to the connection as you do :p

Reaction score
... hell no !

well i wouldnt say i was restricting her, she doesnt need that amount of bandwidth she is hogging from me so there must be a way to share it more easily, i think she takes like half when she is on msn which gives me a hell of a lot of lag!

anyways, the program Ian listed, i am completley confused on how to use it :( any tips, pointers to help me out would be highly appreciated :)

Ask a Question