Restrict # of Office Users

G

I was wondering if there was a way to restrict the number of users that could use a certain application. For example, I want to make PowerPoint available to only a few users, our whole organization does not need to use it and we don't want to buy licenses for all of the users that connect to our Terminal Servers (running Citrix Metaframe as well). Is this possible?

G

You could publish applications based on group membership

In the CMC right-click on the Published Application -> Properties -> Users -> Select Domain -> Add Users

Patrick Rous
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Serve
http://www.workthin.co

----- Jeremy wrote: ----

I was wondering if there was a way to restrict the number of users that could use a certain application. For example, I want to make PowerPoint available to only a few users, our whole organization does not need to use it and we don't want to buy licenses for all of the users that connect to our Terminal Servers (running Citrix Metaframe as well). Is this possible?

G

We run the whole Windows Desktop (with IE, Excel, Word, Outlook, and Access) as a published application. Could I assign the new application through Group Policy to an OU containing only the users that I want to use the application?

G

You can't assign Managed Software Packages to users on TS, because it's a multi-user system. You can only assign the package to the computer, which doesn't help you because it's available to everyone

There are 3rd party software metering programs available, however I don't have intimate knowledge of them. One in particular is called Server Boss, and Citrix lists others made by triCerat & Appsense, but I'm only familiar with their (tricerat & Appsense) other products, not ones that do application metering & access control. Worth a look

Are you trying to
a. Prevent some users from having any access to the program (NTFS Permissions or Software Restriction Policy
b. Remove it from the start menu (Redirect start menu
c. Be in compliance with your EULA for a specific Office Suite, i.e. you have x number of licenses for Office Pro, & y number of licenses for Office Standard

Patrick Rous

We run the whole Windows Desktop (with IE, Excel, Word, Outlook, and Access) as a published application. Could I assign the new application through Group Policy to an OU containing only the users that I want to use the application?

G

"A" is what I'm trying to do. I only want a few users to be able to use the software on the TS. We don't want to buy licenses for everyone that connects to the TS, but we want to be compliant.

G

Then either restrict access to the program files with NTFS permissions & Security Group Membership and/or use a software restriction policy to keep users from running inappropriate applications (ones they're not supposed to use)

Not elegant but free. I'm open to hearing other's input on this and alternatives, as I haven't done this, but seems like a simple & free solution

I.e. can you apply a different software restriction policy to different groups of users on the same Terminal Server that won't affect their normal workstation. Something to look into

Patrick Rous

"A" is what I'm trying to do. I only want a few users to be able to use the software on the TS. We don't want to buy licenses for everyone that connects to the TS, but we want to be compliant.

K

Kenny

Currently we use NTFS permissions, Appsec and Subinacl to
control who has access to specific applications.
We find this works really well and is "relatively"
straightforward to configure and maintain.

Kenny...
-----Original Message-----
Then either restrict access to the program files with
NTFS permissions & Security Group Membership and/or use
a software restriction policy to keep users from running
inappropriate applications (ones they're not supposed to
use).
Not elegant but free. I'm open to hearing other's input
on this and alternatives, as I haven't done this, but
seems like a simple & free solution.
I.e. can you apply a different software restriction
policy to different groups of users on the same Terminal
Server that won't affect their normal workstation.
Something to look into.
Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://www.workthin.com

----- Jeremy wrote: -----

"A" is what I'm trying to do. I only want a few
users to be able to use the software on the TS. We don't
want to buy licenses for everyone that connects to the
TS, but we want to be compliant.

Ask a Question