Windows XP Restarting

Reaction score
I image pc towers using windows deployment services. Some of my towers keep restarting, what can I do to stop this?

Reaction score
Provio,

Yes, more info could certainly help.
However, have you checked any of the logs on the machines?
Do you have audits running or any other logs that might show errors that occurred before they restarted? That might give you some direction to look into.

Many things can cause restarts (hardware or software), however since they were all imaged (perhaps with the same image), are there any differences in the hardware makeup of the machines that are restarting than the ones that are not?

Bad RAM is often a common hardware issue, though less likely on multiple machines. But if you are talking about only a few, than you might want to look into swapping out the memory or taking single modules out at a time, etc.

I'm also curious what you have set for your virtual memory/pagefile. You might try changing it to another setting, then back to what you want. Perhaps in the imaging process, the pagefile was corrupted on those systems (esp if it wasn't set to 0 before making the image).

Just some ideas.

Ask a Question