Reporting Two Imap-Handling Bugs.


G

Guest

1. If you are using an Imap account and you receive a recognized junk mail,
Outlook 2007 moves it into the Junk Mail folder of your Imap account PST file
but the copy is not deleted from the Inbox. The reason for this bug I guess
is because if you delete or move any item in an Imap PST file in Outlook
2007, the item is not actually deleted or moved until you choose the Purge
option under Outlook's Edit menu. So, I guess, when Outlook moves a piece of
mail into the Junk Mail folder of the Imap PST file, it forgets to invoke the
Purge command on that account, thus leaving two copies of the mail in the PST
file: One in the Junk Mail folder (which is only a local folder) and,
mistakenly, another in the Inbox.
2. When using an Imap account and goto to the Sent Items folder for that
account and try to resend any of the e-mails in their, a copy of the mail you
have just resent is not placed, as you expect, in the Sent Items folder
chosen for that Imap account but mistakenly in the Sent Items folder of the
Personal Folders PST file.
Thanks.
 
Ad

Advertisements

B

Brian Tillman

Nektar said:
1. If you are using an Imap account and you receive a recognized junk
mail, Outlook 2007 moves it into the Junk Mail folder of your Imap
account PST file but the copy is not deleted from the Inbox. The
reason for this bug I guess is because if you delete or move any item
in an Imap PST file in Outlook 2007, the item is not actually deleted
or moved until you choose the Purge option under Outlook's Edit menu.
So, I guess, when Outlook moves a piece of mail into the Junk Mail
folder of the Imap PST file, it forgets to invoke the Purge command
on that account, thus leaving two copies of the mail in the PST file:
One in the Junk Mail folder (which is only a local folder) and,
mistakenly, another in the Inbox.

It doesn't "forget". Outlook correctly expects the user to make the
decision. I suspect, however, that the copy in the Inbox has been marked
with the overstrike of a deleted message. YOu can, if you choose, use the
"Hide Messages Marked for Delete" view.
2. When using an Imap account and goto to the Sent Items folder for
that account and try to resend any of the e-mails in their, a copy of
the mail you have just resent is not placed, as you expect, in the
Sent Items folder chosen for that Imap account but mistakenly in the
Sent Items folder of the Personal Folders PST file.

This is proper. Outlook keeps copies of sent messages in the default Set
Items folder and since IMAP folders can never be the default folders, the
Sent Items in the IMAP server can't be used. In fact, unless you created
it, I don't think that there will be a Sent Items folder on the IMAP server.
I suspect the IMAP server has no Outbox folder, either. Outlook uses the
default Outbox.
 
G

Guest

I disagree.

Brian Tillman said:
It doesn't "forget". Outlook correctly expects the user to make the
decision. I suspect, however, that the copy in the Inbox has been marked
with the overstrike of a deleted message. YOu can, if you choose, use the
"Hide Messages Marked for Delete" view.

f this happens then it defeats the purpose of Junk mail filtering in the
first place. The reason of junk mail filtering is to get rid of junk mail,
meaning move it out of the way. If what you are describing is true then this
is a bad user experience in my mind and something that should be classified
perhaps as a bug.

This is proper. Outlook keeps copies of sent messages in the default Set
Items folder and since IMAP folders can never be the default folders, the
Sent Items in the IMAP server can't be used. In fact, unless you created
it, I don't think that there will be a Sent Items folder on the IMAP server.
I suspect the IMAP server has no Outbox folder, either. Outlook uses the
default Outbox.

I strongly disagree. You can set up a default Sent Items folder for every
Imap account from the account's options. What I am saying of course is even!
if you set such a default folder for an Imap account, it works only when you
are sending directly from its Inbox, meaning that Outlook only respects your
choice of a default Sent items folder in that Imap account when you compose
from the Inbox and not when for example you resend an e-mail still from the
same Imap account. This is clearly a bug and I have verified it many times
and it is annoying since I have to manually move each item from the Personal
Folders Sent Items to my Imap Sent Folder in almost every occasion, except
when I compose when in the Imap inbox, which may happen less often as I
sometimes compose e-mails from Explorer or from other folders. In addition, I
am sure many Imap accounts have a Sent Items folder. mine even has a Trash
Folder but that in Outlook is not supported, meaning it appears but no items
are moved to it. Well, make what is supported (the Sent Folder) work 100% of
the times.
Thanks.
 
Ad

Advertisements

B

Brian Tillman

Nektar said:
f this happens then it defeats the purpose of Junk mail filtering in
the first place. The reason of junk mail filtering is to get rid of
junk mail, meaning move it out of the way. If what you are describing
is true then this is a bad user experience in my mind and something
that should be classified perhaps as a bug.

Be my guest. Call Microsoft and complain. If you have a retail license,
you have 90 days of free support.
I strongly disagree.

Reasonable people can disagree. I could not say it's "clearly a bug". Sent
Items and Trash simply are not part of the IMAP standard. People who supply
Deleted Items, Junk E-mail, or Trash folders are doing so outside the scope
of the IMAP standard and can implement them in any way they choose or simply
not implement them at all. If they do implement them, then they do not have
to operate in similar fashions in different IMAP clients or even between the
client and server. It's simply out-of-scope.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top