Windows XP Replace a corrupted XP reggie:

Reaction score
:confused:
(1) Wonder why there can't be a program somewhere that will fix a corrupted registry.. when it will not even get to the recovery console or get past the bios screen??
(2) Also .. fix a screwed up boot area......say, after restoring a image to a different HD and it doesn't boot-up.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
If the computer will not "go" beyond the BIOS POST then you will not get to the OS to fix it. You need to correct that first. :(

The Master Boot Record (MBR) is the information in the first sector of any hard disk or diskette that identifies how and where an operating system is located so that it can be boot (loaded) into the computer's main storage or random access memory. The Master Boot Record is also sometimes called the "partition sector" or the "master partition table" because it includes a table that locates each partition that the hard disk has been formatted into. In addition to this table, the MBR also includes a program that reads the boot sector record of the partition containing the operating system to be booted into RAM. In turn, that record contains a program that loads the rest of the operating system into RAM.
... and can normally be fixed by using a "boot floppy" & "fdisk /mbr". ;)

Reaction score
"Ok, this is what my friend did"

He was running along great with XP Home on a old 6 giger and want'd a larger HD. He bought a new 30 giger and I told him how to move it (big me..lol).

I took my (2) driveimage 2002 floppies over to his place,
set the new HD as slave and fdisk'd and formatted it, booted up them flopps and used it's disk to disk transfer, it said all went well and removed old drive, set the new one to master....booted to a w98 floppie and made sure it was active...THEN went for it's first boot-up......it was a No-Go!!

It went thru the bios screen ok and then detected the HD as bootable and then set there for hour's......doing nothing.

What a idiot, i'm sorry i tried to help him....:crazy:

muckshifter

Reaction score
oops

You should have just used XP's "file and settings transfer wizard" :eek:

Reaction score
Hea muckshifter...(Q) Plz;

your quote:
You should have just used XP's "file and settings transfer wizard"..

Are U saying that this wizard will totally and completely copy the whole OS from one to another HD...?? AND i should have used it Reuther than DriveImage 2002 ?

muckshifter

Reaction score
oops

Sorry ... NO

If you have acquired a new computer then ... yes. It will indeed transfer “the old to the new”.

I have not yet put it to the test that "file and settings transfer wizard" will actually "transfer" one HD to another ... the only programme I know that will do that is "ghost" by Symantec. (There are others … well there should be ;-) )

Sorry for any misconception on my behalf.

"Clone it" by using Ghost will work ... you do of coarse need Ghost ... let me know if you need further assistance. ;-)

Reaction score
Re: oops

Originally posted by muckshifter
Sorry ... NO

If you have acquired a new computer then ... yes. It will indeed transfer “the old to the new”.

I have not yet put it to the test that "file and settings transfer wizard" will actually "transfer" one HD to another ... the only programme I know that will do that is "ghost" by Symantec. (There are others … well there should be ;-) )

Sorry for any misconception on my behalf.

"Clone it" by using Ghost will work ... you do of coarse need Ghost ... let me know if you need further assistance. ;-)

Yes, my school admins are Ghost experts. That's all they do all freakin' day. Image and reinstall windows. It's really pathetic, actually.

Ask a Question