Windows XP repair install

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I will try make this simple.
I have a Zoostorm pc with XP on it, all up to date with everything. It has a few faults and I want to do a repair install on it to try sort them out, before I bite the bullet and do a fresh install.
The thing is I only have an OEM XP disk from an old Medion PC. The disk is XP SP 2. I know I can use it to do what I want, but I also know I am going to loose all updates.
Question is, as its an OEM for a Medion and the PC in Question is a Zoostorm, I am going to have to search for certain drivers. ie ethernet and sound. Is there anyway I can back up the drivers to an external drive before I do the re-pair install ?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Using Xp's repair facility should not loose you all your updates and drivers depending on what you do of course.

Yes you can put all the drivers etc on a cd which is handy for fresh installs. Yes you can put the drivers in a folder on an external hdd.

If it is a XP OEM disc from MS then you can use it on all pc's. If it is a special Medion OEM XP then you'll have to try it and see.

It only takes a few hours to do a fresh install, faster on more modern pc's, so why not bite the bullet and do one. Mind you sorting out problems is the best way to learn stuff and if you stuff up then it don't really matter as you plan a fresh instal anyway.

user.gif

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
If it is a XP OEM disc from MS then you can use it on all pc's. If it is a special Medion OEM XP then you'll have to try it and see.

It only takes a few hours to do a fresh install, faster on more modern pc's, so why not bite the bullet and do one.

Its a Medion specific disk, but I used it initially to format said computer using the Zoostorm product key. When I did it first all was there except sound and ethernet drivers.
I think I might bite the bullet though. I have an Windows 7 upgrade disk that was meant for a Vista laptop.
Works just like a full version except you need to do a bit of a registry tweek to activate it. MAchine is more than capable. :)

Ask a Question