Renaming from a file

GRL

Is there a utility ro rename files in a folder using a (text) file with the
new names?
Thanks.
Giovanni

Susan Bugher

GRL said:
Is there a utility ro rename files in a folder using a (text) file with the
new names?

Yes. :) If you have the PL2006 CD you already have it.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/PL2006FILEUTILITIES.php#0747-PW

THE Rename
Company: -- Author: Hervé Thouzard
(Donationware) (free)
Windows OS: Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP; Windows Server 2003
Languages: English; French; Italian
files and folders en masse with a number of possibilities and options.
You can rename a series of files with a counter: pict0001.jpg,
pict0002.jpg, pict0003.jpg... You can rename files so the prefix is in
upper case and the extension is in lower case. The program is useful for
people who publish pages on Internet and need to convert file names to
lower case. The file attribute changer is a very useful option for
anyone using a CD recorder. You can rename pictures with their width and
height. You can rename audio files (MP3, VQF, OGG and WMA files) based
on their internal tags. You can rename files and folders If you have a
digital camera, THE Rename can use (EXIF) tags that your camera include
inside photos NOTES: Uninstall old versions before updating. COMMENTS:
Adds a lot of entries to the registry,
Home page:
http://www.herve-thouzard.com/
Program description:
http://www.herve-thouzard.com/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=3
download page v 2.1.6 (2004-02) [ therename.zip (2.9 MB) ]
http://www.herve-thouzard.com/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=2
2006PL CD files: therename.zip

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

can you give me a hint? I see a "Text" tab, but help only tells me
it "will enable you to preview small text files". I don't see any
other option to do what is requested.

Hi Thorsten,

Check the help file - topic is "other options" scroll down to:

<q>
Rename from a list
This option let you open or create a list of files to rename. You can
import files from the files list by using the copy selected to list or
Copy all buttons. In the first column you have the new name for each
file and in the second column you have it's actual name. To edit a
filename, press F2 or click on it's name. You can also import a list of
files from a text file. In a such case, it must be a pure ASCII text
file and have to use the same convention that the list, that is to say :
New name Old Name
You have to put a tabulation between the two filenames and each line but
be ended by a new line separator (ASCII codes 13 and 10). If you want to
modify the character to delimit words (the tabulation by default, go in
the options tab Other). Some options are only available in the
contextual menu of the list. To see them, make a right click on the list
containing the selected files (not on the files list)
</q>

I only recall renaming from a list once. IIRC I stumbled around for a
while but the renaming itself was very easy to do - once I got the
instructions figured out. ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Thorsten Duhn

Hello,
I only recall renaming from a list once. IIRC I stumbled around for a
while but the renaming itself was very easy to do - once I got the
instructions figured out. ;)

thanks for explaining. I found this difficult to find too. And I
think, I'll stick with "Oscar's File Renamer" ;-)

Regards,
Thorsten

Pete

GRL said:
Is there a utility ro rename files in a folder using a (text) file with the
new names?
Thanks.
Giovanni
my brother made me a java program to do exactly that... nice and small..
if you want i can try to track it down and email to you