Removed Norton

I have always depended on Norton Internet Security (version 2004) which
shipped with my Sony Vaio laptop. I've paid for annual subscription renewals,
and updated regularly. Being primarily a Macintosh user, I didn't do a lot of
homework. I though my computer was clean and secure. I had installed all the
Windows patches and upgrades as soon as they were released.

Recently an MVP on this forum advised me to trash Norton and use other stuff
instead. It sounded like an ordeal, but it seemed necessary. I just want to
report it wasn't too hard and my computer performs quite a lot better, at
least on certain tasks.

I'm now using AVG for virus protection, several different adware and spyware
scanning apps, and peerGuardian 2, plus the native Windows firewall. They are
all pretty easy to use.

Oh yeah, and firefox whenever possible, and I send and receive email on my
Macintosh. I guess I'm reasonably safe and secure.

I'm happy to report that my machine checks out clean and secure with all the
new malware protection apps. So I guess Norton did its job after all.
Nevertheless, having removed it, I'm glad it's gone.

Norton has a downloadable Remove Norton Completely tool on its website. It
worked fine, no problem. On the other hand, it's really annoying that Norton
can't be easily uninstalled like other apps.

I thought someone might be interested. Thanks for all the help on this forum.

Tim

Elendil

Glad you removed Norton but PLEASE tell me you're not using the paid version
of AVG? If you're paying for AVG check out the Anti-Virus products on the
Company page of my website: www.stopmalware.tk I recommend buying NOD32,
Kaspersky, or McAfee if you're currently paying for AVG. Also, you didn't
mention using any anti-spyware programs so go to the Downloads page of my
website and visit the anti-spyware section. A-Squared, Ad-Aware SE, and
Spybot are highly recommend for your PC and every computer in my house has
at least those three.

Good Luck with Securing your PC and Defeating Malware!

Tom [Pepper] Willett

Jerkwad: Some people like AVG.

| Glad you removed Norton but PLEASE tell me you're not using the paid
version
| of AVG? If you're paying for AVG check out the Anti-Virus products on the
| Company page of my website: www.stopmalware.tk I recommend buying NOD32,
| Kaspersky, or McAfee if you're currently paying for AVG. Also, you didn't
| mention using any anti-spyware programs so go to the Downloads page of my
| website and visit the anti-spyware section. A-Squared, Ad-Aware SE, and
| Spybot are highly recommend for your PC and every computer in my house has
| at least those three.
|
| Good Luck with Securing your PC and Defeating Malware!
|

| "Sensitive New Age Thug" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message
| >I have always depended on Norton Internet Security (version 2004) which
| > shipped with my Sony Vaio laptop. I've paid for annual subscription
| > renewals,
| > and updated regularly. Being primarily a Macintosh user, I didn't do a
lot
| > of
| > homework. I though my computer was clean and secure. I had installed all
| > the
| > Windows patches and upgrades as soon as they were released.
| >
| > Recently an MVP on this forum advised me to trash Norton and use other
| > stuff
| > instead. It sounded like an ordeal, but it seemed necessary. I just want
| > report it wasn't too hard and my computer performs quite a lot better,
at
| > least on certain tasks.
| >
| > I'm now using AVG for virus protection, several different adware and
| > spyware
| > scanning apps, and peerGuardian 2, plus the native Windows firewall.
They
| > are
| > all pretty easy to use.
| >
| > Oh yeah, and firefox whenever possible, and I send and receive email on
my
| > Macintosh. I guess I'm reasonably safe and secure.
| >
| > I'm happy to report that my machine checks out clean and secure with all
| > the
| > new malware protection apps. So I guess Norton did its job after all.
| > Nevertheless, having removed it, I'm glad it's gone.
| >
| > Norton has a downloadable Remove Norton Completely tool on its website.
It
| > worked fine, no problem. On the other hand, it's really annoying that
| > Norton
| > can't be easily uninstalled like other apps.
| >
| > I thought someone might be interested. Thanks for all the help on this
| > forum.
| >
| > Tim

Admiral Q

And the free version doesn't run on Win2k3 Server, like the paid version
does! Besides, it was only 70 USD or so for a server and 2 desktop licenses
for 2 years.

Tom [Pepper] Willett

Elendil is an 8th grader who parrots some of the others in this newsgroup.

Jerkwad: Some people like AVG

Some people like Norton and many people are paying Symantec ;-) (not me)

Panda_man

My reply is at the bottom of your message :

Sensitive New Age Thug said:
[...]

Hello Tim ! Thank you for taking time to inform us!
If you have problems , do not hesitate to post again !

Panda_man

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

In
Elendil said:
Glad you removed Norton but PLEASE tell me you're not using the paid
version of AVG? If you're paying for AVG check out the Anti-Virus
products on the Company page of my website: www.stopmalware.tk I
recommend buying NOD32, Kaspersky, or McAfee if you're currently
paying for AVG. Also, you didn't mention using any anti-spyware
programs so go to the Downloads page of my website and visit the
anti-spyware section. A-Squared, Ad-Aware SE, and Spybot are highly
recommend for your PC and every computer in my house has at least
those three.
Good Luck with Securing your PC and Defeating Malware!

Technically speaking, what you've written is: if the OP *didn't* pay for
AVG, it's fine for him to keep using the free version, but if he *paid* for
it, he should jettison his cash investment in it and pay anew for something
else. You must admit this sounds odd.

I'm personally rather fond of AVG. It's lean and clean, and works fine for
me and many others. Of course there is no 'best' AV app; I believe there are
as many opinions on that topic as there are <insert anatomical reference
here>.

For my purposes, AVG works fine. It isn't bloated and buggy as many other AV
apps are nowadays. Perhaps some other free/inexpensive products are more
highly rated when it comes to detection rates...but I myself haven't had any
problems with it. Nor infestations of any sort. I also happen to be a
careful user, which doesn't hurt either, I suppose.

Elendil

Please excuse me if I insulted any of you by saying that other products such
as Kaspersky and McAfee are better than AVG and are more worthy investment.
I guess it's justed my previous expereince's and biased opinions. I always
though that McAfee, Kaspersky, NOD32, etc. had much higher detection rates
than AVG.... didn't mean to offened anyone :(

Tom [Pepper] Willett said:
> [...]

| > all pretty easy to use.
| >
| > Oh yeah, and firefox whenever possible, and I send and receive email
on
my
| > Macintosh. I guess I'm reasonably safe and secure.
| >
| > I'm happy to report that my machine checks out clean and secure with
all
| > the
| > new malware protection apps. So I guess Norton did its job after all.
| > Nevertheless, having removed it, I'm glad it's gone.
| >
| > Norton has a downloadable Remove Norton Completely tool on its
website.
It
| > worked fine, no problem. On the other hand, it's really annoying that
| > Norton
| > can't be easily uninstalled like other apps.
| >
| > I thought someone might be interested. Thanks for all the help on this

Leythos

Please excuse me if I insulted any of you by saying that other products such
as Kaspersky and McAfee are better than AVG and are more worthy investment.
I guess it's justed my previous expereince's and biased opinions. I always
though that McAfee, Kaspersky, NOD32, etc. had much higher detection rates
than AVG.... didn't mean to offened anyone :(

They do have a higher detection rate than AVG.

Elendil said:
Please excuse me if I insulted any of you by saying that other products such
as Kaspersky and McAfee are better than AVG and are more worthy investment.
I guess it's justed my previous expereince's and biased opinions. I always
though that McAfee, Kaspersky, NOD32, etc. had much higher detection rates
than AVG.... didn't mean to offened anyone :(

Elendil , don't worry boy . I have been taking part in these newsgroups for
one year and I have been insulted so many times just because I say my opinion
and well-known facts which somebody else do not agree with. Don't worry ! ;-)
Sure Kaspersky and NOD32 are much better than AVG , the same applies also
for McAfee.Kaspersky has extremely fast reaction for new threats , McAfee
offers daily updates and a heuristic that can catch at about 30% of new
unknown malware. NOD32 offers updates everyday and even more often and NOD32
is able to catch 92% of new unknown malware with its advanced heuristic.
Panda has TruPrevent technologies offering really big protection against new
unknown malware.

You may also have a loot at this:
http://www.eset.com/products/compare.php

AVG's heuristic detection varies from five (5) to zero percents (0%).

Feel free to ask , feel free to say your own opinion !
Feel free to protect your own words and opinion !!! ;-)

Panda_man

Elendil

:)

Panda_man said:
My reply is at the bottom of your message :

Elendil , don't worry boy . I have been taking part in these newsgroups
for
one year and I have been insulted so many times just because I say my
opinion
and well-known facts which somebody else do not agree with. Don't worry !
;-)

--
Bronze level Contributor , MS-Newsgroups
Prevention is always better than cure !