Remove from Start Menu?

Hymer

Hello,

I downloaded Firefox 2.0 and it was pinned to the Start Menu. However, the
old version of Firefox is also still pinned to the Start Menu.

I tried to Unpin From Start Menu and Remove From Start Menu but it will not
remove.

Is there a way to manually remove the old Firefox from my Start Menu?

Thanks a lot,

Bob

robbie_d

Hymer...

You might try going to control panel, add and remove programmes and
removing the older version fully... This MAY remove the shortcut from
your start menu...

Robbie D....

Hymer

robbie_d said:
Hymer...

You might try going to control panel, add and remove programmes and
removing the older version fully... This MAY remove the shortcut from
your start menu...

Robbie D....

The problem is that I installed Firefox 2.0 in the same directory as the
older version. Add/Remove only shows the new version now. I may have to
uninstall 2.0 in order to remove everything and then reinstall.

I wish there was a file or registry spot where it could be removed but I
can't find it.

Bob

Uncle Grumpy

Hymer said:
I wish there was a file or registry spot where it could be removed but I
can't find it.

This is NOT worth getting all hot and bothered about... nor is it worth
this much forum time.

Uninstall BOTH versions if you're that anal, then install the version
you want to keep.

Hymer

I unchecked the Internet Box but it still won't let me remove it.

Any other ideas?

Bob

Ayush

Here is a post from "Keith Miller" :

Yes. When you modify the 'pinned' area of the start menu, 3 values under the
key:

'HKEY_LOCAL_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage'

are modified. The value names and types are:

Favorites REG_BINARY
FavoritesChanges REG_DWORD
FavoritesResolve REG_BINARY

If you double click on Favorites or FavoritesResolve you'll be able to see
bits of text that refer to your items. The fact that they are stored in
binary streams is why a text search of the registry didn't turn up anything.
I don't know the exact structure of these values so I backed up the whole key
(just to be safe), deleted these 3 values, rebooted, and every pinned item
except IE & OE were gone. I was then able to pin a new item, checked the
registry, and found that new values had been created with no ill effect. The
only drawback is you will have to repin the shortcuts you want, but that
seems a small price to pay to be rid of the annoyance of dead links staring
at you :)

FYI, I was able to determine that these were the values affected by using
Regmon, freeware from:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/regmon.shtml

It's a really nifty utility that allows you to monitor all registry activity.
If you like to know how windows works, check it out.

Keith

Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]

Search - www.Google.com | Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org
Snip your long urls - http://snipurl.com/
OE-QuoteFix - http://snipurl.com/quotefix

Replied to [Hymer]'s message :

Hymer

Thanks Ayush,

I will give this a try. Is it correct that a System Backup Point is the same
as backing up the registry?

I will do this before I start.

Thanks,

Bob

Ayush said:
[...]

There is nothing like "System Backup point" in windows. If you are talking about System Restore point then yes it will backup the
registry but it is NOT meant for that purpose but if you just modifying some little things like this then it is OK to make a restore
point. You can export the Registry Key too.

Original thread:
http://snipurl.com/UnpinProblem

--

Ayush said:
[...]

"Ayush" <ayushmaan.j[aatt]gmail.com> wrote in message
Right click it and choose Unpin.
If that doesn't work then
Go to Start Menu Properties,
Click Customize
Uncheck the Internet box

The problem is that I installed Firefox 2.0 in the same directory
as
the older version. Add/Remove only shows the new version now. I
may have to uninstall 2.0 in order to remove everything and then
reinstall.
I wish there was a file or registry spot where it could be removed
but I can't find it.

Bob

Hymer

Thanks Ayush. It worked perfectly. Much appreciated.

Bob