Remote Access through ActionTec DSL Modem/Router

G

Please excuse some of my ignorance here, I'm brand new to the Win XP world.

I have a customer that I will be upgrading from Win98 to WinXP. He has frequently asked about getting remote access to his business and I realized that this should be possible if we install Win XP Pro on one of his systems at work and install the client on his system at home. He has DSL installed on both systems (via Qwest DSL) using ActionTec modems on both ends (possibly wireless at his home).

I think this would be relatively easy if his work computer was directly connected to the DSL. But the DSL connects to the DSL modem/router with a dynamic IP address and then his computer gets a dynamic IP from the router probably in the 10.0.0.x range or maybe 192.168.123.xxx range.

Is it possible with all of the dynamic IP addresses to remotely access the work computer from his home?

The dynamic IP address assigned to the DSL modem has stayed the same for as long as the DSL modem has been turned on (and even when the power had to be cycled a couple of times). Since there are three systems connected to the router and ony one of the will be running Win XP Pro, how do I specify the system to connect to from his home?

Is there a FAQ available somewhere on how to set this up and get through the router? What about the firewall on the router and on Win XP?

Thanks for any assistance.
david.

S

Sooner Al

You would need to forward/open TCP Port 3389 in the router to the private LAN IP of the PC. Call
using the public IP of the router. Port forwarding works best if the PC had a static IP simply
because the IP could change and that would negate your port forwarding scheme. Is there any reason
why you can't configure a static IP on the PC? Although if the IP has not changed you could go ahead
and try it...just be aware it could fail at some point...

If you need to access multiple PCs behind a firewall/NAT/router look at this page that illustrates
two different ways to do that using the XP ICF and a Linksys BEFSR41 router as examples...

http://www.oecadvantage.net/ajarvi/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html

As far as the dynamic IP of the router/modem you can look at using one of the dynamic DNS services
that map an alias to the IP address. Typically a small program runs in background on the PC. The
program contacts the dynamic DNS service server on a periodic basis allowing the server to determine
the current IP and propagate that information out over the public internet. I use a free service
from No-IP.com... Go to http://www.no-ip.com for details. Others, some free and some $$$, are listed
on the page I pointed you to...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

David said:
Please excuse some of my ignorance here, I'm brand new to the Win XP world.

I have a customer that I will be upgrading from Win98 to WinXP. He has frequently asked about
getting remote access to his business and I realized that this should be possible if we install Win
XP Pro on one of his systems at work and install the client on his system at home. He has DSL
installed on both systems (via Qwest DSL) using ActionTec modems on both ends (possibly wireless at
his home).
I think this would be relatively easy if his work computer was directly connected to the DSL. But
the DSL connects to the DSL modem/router with a dynamic IP address and then his computer gets a
dynamic IP from the router probably in the 10.0.0.x range or maybe 192.168.123.xxx range.
Is it possible with all of the dynamic IP addresses to remotely access the work computer from his home?

The dynamic IP address assigned to the DSL modem has stayed the same for as long as the DSL modem
has been turned on (and even when the power had to be cycled a couple of times). Since there are
three systems connected to the router and ony one of the will be running Win XP Pro, how do I
specify the system to connect to from his home?
Is there a FAQ available somewhere on how to set this up and get through the router? What about
the firewall on the router and on Win XP?

Ask a Question