relocating boot drive to new HD & recovering data from corrupt HD

Reaction score
Hello all … I have a two part question, which requires a bit of background. I am running XP Pro SP2 in with an AMD Anthlon 64 3000+ processor (1800 GH) on a Gigabyte motherboard and 1 Gig of RAM. I have been running with two IDE drives (61 Gig & 82 Gig respectively) and a WD 250 Gig SATA drive. The WD drive is divided into three partitions: the C: (Operating System) partition; the D partition which contains other applications; and the E partition, which contains all of my media files (music, movies, audiobooks, etc.) and is over 150 Gigs.

Recently I experienced a problem whereby my computer would shut down after a few hours, and on reboot I would get the message “NTLDR is missing; press CTRL+ALT+DEL”. I finally realized it was a heat problem, so yesterday I took my computer in to get the power supply & fans updated. They checked the WD hard drive and advised me that the disk was corrupt, and needed to be replaced. It’s still under manufacturer’s warranty, so I bought a new, identical WD 250 Gig SATA disk and decided to move everything from the old WD to the new WD, remove the old WD disk & send it to the manufacturer, and when I get it back I’ll have an addition 250 Gig SATA hard drive.

After the new disk was installed, partitioned the new WD the same as the old WD and ghosted the C: & D: partitions on the old WD with Acronis and copied the data onto the new WD. I then changed the drive letter for the “other applications” partition to D on the new WD and erased all the date that was on D from the old WD. So far it’s working fine, and the computer is reading all of my other applications from the new WD.

If you’ve read this far, thanks for your patience!!! Now I come two the two questions / problems I have. They are:

1) How do I make the partition on the new WD containing the operating system files the boot directory? I know I have to change the drive letter for the partition to “C” and make some changes in BIOS, but I am not sure exactly what those steps, and their sequence, are. I’m sure there are some very easy to use guides out there, but I’ve tried googling, with no results.

2) When I try to access the partition on the old WD containing all of my media files via My Computer, I get the message “E:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable”. As I had mentioned, I have about 150 Gigs of data on this partition … is there any way I can recover at least some of it?

Many, many thanks for your patience & support!!

Reaction score
Yes, and it turns out that was the problem. I ended up losing all of the data on the corrupted drive.
Oh well ... live & learn!!

Ask a Question