Refresh Subform

Tom Bock

I have 2 subforms residing on a mainform.

- The 1st one is in "datasheet view" and lists multiple accounts per client
(client data is in main form)
- The 2nd subform is in "single form view" and contains a textbox that shows
a "numeric value" (account balance)

Here's the problem:
When I select different records on the 1st subform (accounts), the numeric
value (account balance) does not get updated in the 2nd subform.

So, my question is: How do I refresh the textbox on the 2nd subform when
another record is selected in the 1st subform (which again is in datasheet
view)?

Thanks,
Tom

prabha

Hi Tom,

I don't think I have all your information. So I guess you have:

- SubForm1 control is "Parent" to SubForm2 control

Then for the SubForm control "SubForm2" set it's property Link Master Field
= [SubForm1]

Now if the subForm control "SubForm1" is not the parent to "SubForm2" and
the parent to "SubForm2" is the main Form then you would need to requery
the subForm control "SubForm2" as follows:

- In the AfterUpdate event of a control on "SubForm1" enter the code
Forms![name of your main
form]![SubForm2].Form.Requery

I hope this helps! If you have additional questions on this topic, please
respond back to this posting.

Regards,

Eric Butts
Microsoft Access Support

"Microsoft Security Announcement: Have you installed the patch for
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026? If not Microsoft strongly advises
you to review the information at the following link regarding Microsoft
Security Bulletin MS03-026
<http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp> and/or
to visit Windows Update at <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/> to install
the patch. Running the SCAN program from the Windows Update site will help
to insure you are current with all security patches, not just MS03-026."

--------------------
| From: "Tom Bock" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Refresh Subform
| Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:26:41 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.forms
|
| I have 2 subforms residing on a mainform.
|
| - The 1st one is in "datasheet view" and lists multiple accounts per
client
| (client data is in main form)
| - The 2nd subform is in "single form view" and contains a textbox that
shows
| a "numeric value" (account balance)
|
| Here's the problem:
| When I select different records on the 1st subform (accounts), the numeric
| value (account balance) does not get updated in the 2nd subform.
|
| So, my question is: How do I refresh the textbox on the 2nd subform when
| another record is selected in the 1st subform (which again is in datasheet
| view)?
|

| Thanks,
| Tom

Tom

Eric:

Thanks for the feedback.... maybe you've given me the answer but I am
confused...

okay, let me provide you more information.

Here's the table structure:
1. Table 1 contains "Facility"
2. Table 2 contains "Accounts"
3. Table 3 contains "Bills"

Each facility can have more than 1 account and each account can have more
than 1 bill.

The main form contains "Facility". The main form (facility) contains 2
subforms: a) Accounts, and b) Bills.

The Accounts subform is in dataview while the Bills subform is in Single
Form view.

Therefore, I believe, the Accounts subform is NOT the parent of the Bills
subform.

However, I want a textbox (that resides on the "Bills" subform) change when
another record is selected in the Accounts subform.

Does that make sense?

So, again, 1 subform controls another without being the parent.

Tom

"prabha" said:
Hi Tom,

I don't think I have all your information. So I guess you have:

- SubForm1 control is "Parent" to SubForm2 control

Then for the SubForm control "SubForm2" set it's property Link Master Field
= [SubForm1]

Now if the subForm control "SubForm1" is not the parent to "SubForm2" and
the parent to "SubForm2" is the main Form then you would need to requery
the subForm control "SubForm2" as follows:

- In the AfterUpdate event of a control on "SubForm1" enter the code
Forms![name of your main
form]![SubForm2].Form.Requery

I hope this helps! If you have additional questions on this topic, please
respond back to this posting.

Regards,

Eric Butts
Microsoft Access Support

"Microsoft Security Announcement: Have you installed the patch for
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026? If not Microsoft strongly advises
you to review the information at the following link regarding Microsoft
Security Bulletin MS03-026
<http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp> and/or
to visit Windows Update at <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/> to install
the patch. Running the SCAN program from the Windows Update site will help
to insure you are current with all security patches, not just MS03-026."

--------------------
| From: "Tom Bock" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Refresh Subform
| Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:26:41 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.forms
|
| I have 2 subforms residing on a mainform.
|
| - The 1st one is in "datasheet view" and lists multiple accounts per
client
| (client data is in main form)
| - The 2nd subform is in "single form view" and contains a textbox that
shows
| a "numeric value" (account balance)
|
| Here's the problem:
| When I select different records on the 1st subform (accounts), the numeric
| value (account balance) does not get updated in the 2nd subform.
|
| So, my question is: How do I refresh the textbox on the 2nd subform when
| another record is selected in the 1st subform (which again is in datasheet
| view)?
|

| Thanks,
| Tom

prabha

Hi Tom,

Okay so you have:

Main Form: "Facility"
SubForm Control on main Form: "Accounts"
SubForm Control on main Form" "Bills"

Note: in the database window the Form has the name "frmAccounts" and
"frmBills" (just an example as you see the control on the main form is
called "Accounts" but the actual name of the Form itself is "frmAccounts")

Thereby, for the subForm control "Bills" it's Link Master Field property
should be equal to:
[Accounts].Form![the control on the Form frmAccounts]

Note: the control on the Form "frmAccounts" should be the one that gives
you the 1 To Many relationship with "Bills"

Eric

--------------------
> [...]
please
| > respond back to this posting.
| >

| > Regards,
| >
| > Eric Butts
| > Microsoft Access Support
| >
| > "Microsoft Security Announcement: Have you installed the patch for
| > Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026? If not Microsoft strongly advises
| > you to review the information at the following link regarding Microsoft
| > Security Bulletin MS03-026
| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp>
and/or
| > to visit Windows Update at <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/> to
| install
| > the patch. Running the SCAN program from the Windows Update site will
| help
| > to insure you are current with all security patches, not just MS03-026."

cpmsftngxa07.phx.gbl!cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP09.
| > phx.gbl
| > |
| > | I have 2 subforms residing on a mainform.
| > |
| > | - The 1st one is in "datasheet view" and lists multiple accounts per
| > client
| > | (client data is in main form)
| > | - The 2nd subform is in "single form view" and contains a textbox that
| > shows
| > | a "numeric value" (account balance)
| > |
| > | Here's the problem:
| > | When I select different records on the 1st subform (accounts), the
| numeric
| > | value (account balance) does not get updated in the 2nd subform.
| > |
| > | So, my question is: How do I refresh the textbox on the 2nd subform
when
| > | another record is selected in the 1st subform (which again is in
| datasheet
| > | view)?
| > |
| > |