Reformatting?

Reaction score
Please move this is if I've posted this is the wrong place :)

1st question is 'What's the difference between System Restore and Reformatting?'

Also I've posted before my System Restore doesn't work.... :wall:

So I'll have to go for Re-formatting; but... I don't want to delete everything e.g my Itunes; I can't be bothered to upload them all again, hehehe. Is there a way I can reformat without deleted Itunes?

Thanks.

-Foley

Reaction score
Formatting means erasing all files and data that are within a hard drive.
REformatting is doing it over and over again.

System restore is an application within an operating system such as windows xp which allows the user to restore their computer back to a previous date and state. This is normally utilised when there is a problem within the operating system.

In your situation I would suggest backing up all your files on to either cdr or a dvdr and then formatting.
Itunes will always be a bugger, do you have another hard drive in which you can install an operating system?

good luck

Reaction score
Thanks for your help! No I don't have another HardDrive. So I guess I'll just have to save my I-tunes on to a disc; do you know I could this?

Also I have a Windows CD, where I can Re-install my windows; what would that do?

Thanks again, Foley.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am not so familar with Itunes, but if they are stored somewhere on your computer copy and paste them using Nero or a cd/dvd burning software.

Also you could back them up to a USB drive if you got one.

You will have to resintall by putting in that CD and then restarting your computer. Keep it in the drive and fingers crossed it should go into the Windows setup. Otherwise it is a bit more complex.
Word of warning make sure you back up all your important documents besides your Itunes.

Reaction score
psd99 said:
I am not so familar with Itunes, but if they are stored somewhere on your computer copy and paste them using Nero or a cd/dvd burning software.

Also you could back them up to a USB drive if you got one.

You will have to resintall by putting in that CD and then restarting your computer. Keep it in the drive and fingers crossed it should go into the Windows setup. Otherwise it is a bit more complex.
Word of warning make sure you back up all your important documents besides your Itunes.

yes, and if you days worth of music, try compressing it with WINRAR before copying to a CD, if you can :)

Good luck, and come back if you get stuck reinstalling windows!

Reaction score
michael 118 said:
yes, and if you days worth of music, try compressing it with WINRAR before copying to a CD, if you can :)

Good luck, and come back if you get stuck reinstalling windows!

A day's worth?

Come back and talk to me when you have got 75 days worth.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I decided to re-install Windows; because my comp had a lot of errors. All went well, but... I forgot to save the pictures!! So all the pictures have gone!! I'm soo annoyed, and upset.

Ask a Question