External Hard drive

gig

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I got two questions in one:

1) Should an external hardrive just be used for storing files, photos, movies, music, documents etc or can it be used for storing and running bigger programs/applications off. For instance can I install football manager on the external hardrive and run it from there? can i do the same with itunes?

2) The other related question is about iTunes. I've got lots of music mp3s which ive taken from my CDs. These have also been imported to iTunes. So they're as MP3s in the MyMusic folder and also in iTunes.
The question is..am I storing the same thing twice and therefore using up memory? Can I delete the MP3s in MyMusic folder or does iTunes need to run them from there or does iTunes store them itself in different format?
If I delete them can I then create new MP3s from the format they're stored on iTunes?

Thanks Guys
gig

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yes, you can "install" programs and applications on an external HD ... however, I don't advise you do so.

If the drive letter changes, Windows will allocate the next free drive letter, because you inserted a pen-drive before reattaching the ext-HD, some or all programs may refuse to work, because they are looking for drive E and the drive is now F.

Sorry, I know nothing about iTunes ... don't want to either. ;)

:user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I belive that instead of a file ending in .mp3 or .wma or .ogg or mp4 itunes have a file ending in .m4a
happywave.gif

Ask a Question