Red Bull Air Race Greenwich 2008

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As promised, some pix.

It wasn't much of a day, actually, the weather spoiled things. It was very windy and it rained on and off.

Many planes were buffeted by the wind and collided with the inflatable markers; there were long gaps between flights waiting for wind to drop; some contestants dropped out; others were disqualified and the whole show lasted less than four hours.

A bit sad really, but the small amount of competitive flying we saw was good :)

So here's a small selection of pix:

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

018.JPG

019.JPG

020.JPG

021.JPG

022.JPG

023.JPG

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah great pics Flopps, what camera you using??? as those pics are pretty good.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Yeah great pics Flopps, what camera you using??? as those pics are pretty good.

Nikon D40X; 18-135mm lens; full auto on 'Sports' mode. Pix reduced from full res to 800 pixels wide to suit Forum.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Smashing pics Flops, it makes you realise how close they actually get to the ground when you see some of those! :)

How close were you, it looks like you must have been near to all the action ?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
There's a river walk that goes from the Thames Barrier uninterrupted until the centre of Greenwich (the site of the Cutty Sark boat). The walk runs past the O2 (The Dome) and that's where we were, so I was as close to the river as you could be, water lapping at my feet sort of thing.

The pix actually look better at full res (3872 x 2592), the planes are a little sharper.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Great pix Flopps - the planes really stand out well against that stormy sky:nod: Where do they take-off from in the first place? Is there a small airfield somewhere close by, or do they have a bit of space at one of the bigger airports?

Reaction score
Great picture FBS, The detail & sharpness of the photos are very good.:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments everybody :)

Taff, I don't know where they take off and land, I was wondering that myself. I expect the program would tell you that but I was too tight to buy one :D

I'd hazard a guess at City Airport which is only 2 or 3 miles away at Silvertown.

Edit: See next post.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Nice little vid Here

And I found this:

Perhaps the most remarkable aspect of the operation is that in order to run the event, Red Bull is planning to clear a piece of waste ground, probably to the north-east of London City Airport, laying down a new runway and turning that into the airfield/pits area.

Although that was for the 2007 event, I think it's likely that's where the airstrip and pits are.

And here's some Youtube footage where you can see how bad the weather was.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thanks Flopps - wow, that is some amazing footage... the way they kept slicing the tops off those pylons...! Clever pilots though, the way they can maneuver those planes is incredible. :D

Ask a Question