Recovery console asks for Admin PW... Admin account was disabled

Kurt

I am trying to run the Recovery Console from CD ROM. It
finds the right partition, but when I select it, it asks
for the Admin Password. UNfortunately, I'm almost 100%
certain I disabled the Admin account (for security
purposes) so I cannot type in the "right" password.
Anyone have any clues on how to use a different account
that's an Admin account for the recovery console?
Kurt

Jim

I am trying to run the Recovery Console from CD ROM. It
finds the right partition, but when I select it, it asks
for the Admin Password. UNfortunately, I'm almost 100%
certain I disabled the Admin account (for security
purposes) so I cannot type in the "right" password.
Anyone have any clues on how to use a different account
that's an Admin account for the recovery console?
Kurt
.
Just leave that password blank and hit enter.

Will Denny

Hi

Try leaving the password blank.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

| I am trying to run the Recovery Console from CD ROM. It
| finds the right partition, but when I select it, it asks
| for the Admin Password. UNfortunately, I'm almost 100%
| certain I disabled the Admin account (for security
| purposes) so I cannot type in the "right" password.
| Anyone have any clues on how to use a different account
| that's an Admin account for the recovery console?
| Kurt

Carrie Garth

| "Kurt" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | I am trying to run the Recovery Console from CD ROM. It
| finds the right partition, but when I select it, it asks
| for the Admin Password. UNfortunately, I'm almost 100%
| certain I disabled the Admin account (for security
| purposes) so I cannot type in the "right" password. <SNIP>

If by writing "I disabled the Admin account" you mean you
used secpol.msc (or equivalent) to configure:

Security Settings | Local Policies | Security Options |
Accounts: Administrator account status: Disabled

Then...

Disabling the local built-in Administrator account does not
prevent you from logging on to the recovery console as
Administrator. Additionally, you are not prevented from
logging on as Administrator in Safe mode and using
lusrmgr.msc to re-enable the account.

For more information see the following Microsoft Knowledge
Base article:

KB814777 - HOW TO: Access the Computer After You
Disable the Administrator Account
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;814777

Note: Even though Windows XP is not listed in the "applies
to:" section, I just tested it on my Windows XP Professional
computer and it does indeed apply.

Test Steps:

secpol.msc | Local Policies | Security Options
Accounts: Administrator account status:
Disabled

Log Off, try to logon on as the built-in Administrator, and I
got the following Logon Message:

Your account has been disabled. Please see your
system administrator.

Reboot to the Recovery Console and I was able to logon as
the built-in Administrator.

Reboot into Safe Mode and I was able to logon as the built-in
Administrator. Furthermore, I was able to re-enable the
Administrator account as described in KB814777.