Windows XP recovery cd

Reaction score
hey guys,

My laptop is not working..it turn on and then it comes to the screen which gives you options saying safe mode, start windows normally etc..i've tried all the options, nothing works...am i right i assuming that i need to put a recovery CD in?

i have lost my recovery CD unfortunately? can i get a new from toshiba?

also if i put in the recovery CD, will i lose all my data? is there anyway i can gain access to my data without using the recovery CD?

can anyone tell me the difference between the recovery disk and the xp re-installation disk? or are the the same thing? do i loose all my data on that one?

Thanks
daleee

Last edited:
Reaction score
daleee said:
hey guys,

My laptop is not working..it turn on and then it comes to the screen which gives you options saying safe mode, start windows normally etc..i've tried all the options, nothing works...am i right i assuming that i need to put a recovery CD in?

also if i put in the recovery CD, will i lose all my data? is there anyway i can gain access to my data without using the recovery CD?

can anyone tell me the difference between the recovery disk and the xp re-installation disk? or are the the same thing? do i loose all my data on that one?

Thanks
daleee

Hi Daleee...........
happywave.gif
happywave.gif
happywave.gif

Welcome to the forum..
If you are unableto start your laptop from those options, then yes you would need your recovery cd.
If you contact Toshiba Support they may be able to send you a recovery cd, although there may be a charge for this. Do you not have a freind that has an XP computer ? If yes then you can use their disk.

No you won't loose your data if you insert the recovery disk.
If you want to acess your data without a recovery disk, you could use a Linux live CD and retrive your data that way, although you would still need the recovery disk to repair whatever the fault is with your system.

Reaction score
Hi there,

I think there are a few options you have before you consider formatting.

Is there another computer you can access to make a windows boot disk?

go the root directory C drive and copy

Boot.ini
NTLDR
Ntdetect.com

That way the computer will bypass the active partition and boot files on the hard disk and attempt to start windows XP normally. You will then be able to troubleshoot try the chkdsk /r

If you can do a windows repair using the XP disk

If that does not work you will need XP disk and use the recovery console to fix the Boot.ini file

use the Bootcfg tool

Bootcfg /rebuild

master boot record you can fix by using command

Fixmbr

hope it helps

Last edited:
Reaction score
daleee said:
hey guys,

Thanks
daleee

what toshiba laptop is it may have a spare dvd for u.

I made a recovery disc on my laptop for this reason.

Reaction score
hey thanks guys,

michael555 - it's a toshiba equium A110 -233
i called up toshiba and they said that they can't send out the recovery CD as they only give it out to laptops less than 2 years old!

they also said that a recovery cd will erase all my data! strange?

also, the battery has not been working for a while, so i've just been using the mains to power my laptop...so this be the reason why it has stopped working?

Last edited:
Reaction score
daleee said:
hey thanks guys,

Its irrelevant waht make of laptop it is. All you need is an XP CD,. Performing a repair insstall will not erase your data. All it does is repair the XP instalation.

Reaction score
ok, i don;t have an XP cd...the best i could do was to find an XP boot up cd...

it contains the following options:

1. acronis true image home 10
2. disk director suite 10
3. os selctor setup/activate
4. NLTDR missing fixer
5.pwd reset
6. hiren boodcd v9.2
7. ERD commander 2005
8.bartPE
9.Recovery console

i tried to use the reovery console and did what newbie 09 suggested...but it didn;t work...and with the other programmes i have no ideas on how to how it!..any suggestions?

Reaction score
daleee said:
hey thanks guys,

i called up toshiba and they said that they can't send out the recovery CD as they only give it out to laptops less than 2 years old!

also, the battery has not been working for a while, so i've just been using the mains to power my laptop...so this be the reason why it has stopped working?

Battery may be dead and u may need a new one.

Can you get your hands on a windows xp disc if not i may have a spare one to give way.

but it,s not a recovery cd but will help you alot.

Don,t know why toshiba told you they can,t send them out because it,s 2 year old.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
daleee said:
ok, i don;t have an XP cd...the best i could do was to find an XP boot up cd...

it contains the following options:

1. acronis true image home 10
2. disk director suite 10
3. os selctor setup/activate
4. NLTDR missing fixer
5.pwd reset
6. hiren boodcd v9.2
7. ERD commander 2005
8.bartPE
9.Recovery console

i tried to use the reovery console and did what newbie 09 suggested...but it didn;t work...and with the other programmes i have no ideas on how to how it!..any suggestions?

When you get sorted take the time to go to the Acronis site and read up about the True ImageHome program. You will find that they have an excellent manual you can download. This program is worth its weight in gold. You will be able to use it to make full backups of your os and your files and folders, this will save you many hours of work later on.

happywave.gif

Ask a Question