Recover unsynchronized offline files from hard drive of defunct PC

Jim

Hello. One of my company's users has a notebook computer which has some
CPU/motherboard problems that prevent the use of Windows on it. The notebook
is old enough and has been problematic enough in the past, that I don't feel
it's worthwhile to repair it.

The notebook hard drive seems to be in good shape. I would like to migrate
the data on it to a different computer; however, it has some unsynchronized
offline files that the user needs to recover. If I move the CSC
folders/files to a clean install of Windows XP, will I be able to use CSCCMD
1.1 to extract the files? In other words, copy all the contents of
C:\WINDOWS\CSC on the old hard drive to the same location on the new
computer, then run:
csccmd /extract:\\steadfas-rgj5jp\Users /target:c:\tmp /onlymodified /recurse
to grab the unsynchronized local files? Would that work?

Thanks in advance.

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

If you'd like to extract the unsynchronized offline files from the cache of
another machine, you can copy that cache over and point CSC at it.

The following are the detailed steps:

1. Disabled the offline caching on the current box from Tools -> Folder
option -> Offline files

2. Rebooted the machine

3. Moved the original CSC folder from C:\Windows (%windir%\CSC) directory
to another location

4. Copied the CSC folder from defunct PC to C:\Windows (%windir%\CSC)
directory.

5. Enabled the Offline file caching on the box

6. Ran the extract command at
csccmd /EXTRACT /RECURSE /TARGET:c:\csc-files

The data should be extracted successfully then.

As the Original CSC folder has been moved to another location we had to
move it back to C:\Windows

To do this, please do as follows:

1. Disable the Offline file caching under Tools-Folder option- Offline files

2. Rebooted the client

3. Moved the Original CSC folder to C:\windows after moving the copied one
to another location

4. Enabled Offile caching

Moreover, the following information regarding CSSCMD command is for your
reference:

Features and functions in version 1.1 of the Client-Side Caching
Command-Line Options command-line tool
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884739

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support

| From: =?Utf-8?B?Smlt?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Recover unsynchronized offline files from hard drive of defunct
PC
| Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 20:20:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
|
| Hello. One of my company's users has a notebook computer which has some
| CPU/motherboard problems that prevent the use of Windows on it. The
notebook
| is old enough and has been problematic enough in the past, that I don't
feel
| it's worthwhile to repair it.
|
| The notebook hard drive seems to be in good shape. I would like to
migrate
| the data on it to a different computer; however, it has some
unsynchronized
| offline files that the user needs to recover. If I move the CSC
| folders/files to a clean install of Windows XP, will I be able to use
CSCCMD
| 1.1 to extract the files? In other words, copy all the contents of
| C:\WINDOWS\CSC on the old hard drive to the same location on the new
| computer, then run:
| csccmd /extract:\\steadfas-rgj5jp\Users /target:c:\tmp /onlymodified
/recurse
| to grab the unsynchronized local files? Would that work?
|
| Thanks in advance.
|
| --
| Jim

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Hello,

How's everything going?

I'm wondering if the suggestion has helped or if you have any further
questions.

Please feel free to respond to the newsgroups if I can assist further.

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT])
| Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:09:14 GMT
| Subject: RE: Recover unsynchronized offline files from hard drive of
defunct PC
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
|
| Hello,
|
| Thank you for your post.
|
| If you'd like to extract the unsynchronized offline files from the cache
of
| another machine, you can copy that cache over and point CSC at it.
|
| The following are the detailed steps:
|
| 1. Disabled the offline caching on the current box from Tools -> Folder
| option -> Offline files
|
| 2. Rebooted the machine
|
| 3. Moved the original CSC folder from C:\Windows (%windir%\CSC) directory
| to another location
|
| 4. Copied the CSC folder from defunct PC to C:\Windows (%windir%\CSC)
| directory.
|
| 5. Enabled the Offline file caching on the box
|
| 6. Ran the extract command at
| csccmd /EXTRACT /RECURSE /TARGET:c:\csc-files
|
| The data should be extracted successfully then.
|
| As the Original CSC folder has been moved to another location we had to
| move it back to C:\Windows
|
| To do this, please do as follows:
|
| 1. Disable the Offline file caching under Tools-Folder option- Offline
files

| 2. Rebooted the client
|
| 3. Moved the Original CSC folder to C:\windows after moving the copied
one
| to another location
|
| 4. Enabled Offile caching
|
| Moreover, the following information regarding CSSCMD command is for your
| reference:
|
| Features and functions in version 1.1 of the Client-Side Caching
| Command-Line Options command-line tool
| http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884739
|
| I hope this helps.
|
| Sincerely,
| Neo Zhu,
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| --------------------
| | From: =?Utf-8?B?Smlt?= <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Recover unsynchronized offline files from hard drive of
defunct
| PC
| | Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 20:20:01 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| |
| | Hello. One of my company's users has a notebook computer which has
some
| | CPU/motherboard problems that prevent the use of Windows on it. The
| notebook
| | is old enough and has been problematic enough in the past, that I don't
| feel
| | it's worthwhile to repair it.
| |
| | The notebook hard drive seems to be in good shape. I would like to
| migrate
| | the data on it to a different computer; however, it has some
| unsynchronized
| | offline files that the user needs to recover. If I move the CSC
| | folders/files to a clean install of Windows XP, will I be able to use
| CSCCMD
| | 1.1 to extract the files? In other words, copy all the contents of
| | C:\WINDOWS\CSC on the old hard drive to the same location on the new
| | computer, then run:
| | csccmd /extract:\\steadfas-rgj5jp\Users /target:c:\tmp /onlymodified
| /recurse
| | to grab the unsynchronized local files? Would that work?
| |
| | Thanks in advance.
| |
| | --
| | Jim
| |

SisypheanShrug

Jian-Ping Zhu,

I attempted to recover offline files from a laptop hard drive that crashed
according to these instructions.

After rebooting, copying the files over to my c:\windows\csc directory and
re-enabling offline files and then running the extract command, it ran in
about 1 second. No new folder was created and no files were extracted.

Am I missing something?

The files were taken from a hard drive that crashed at my client's site. I
removed the hard drive, inserted it into a usb external container and
attached the device to a new computer. The files were copied from the hard
drive using robocopy to a folder on my hard drive. I turned off offline
sync, rebooted the machine, moved the offline folder that was there to a
holding location and copied the files from the folder where I robocopied them
to.

deaddrive\windows\csc -> myworkstation\holding
turned offline files off
rebooted
myworkstation\windows\csc -> myworkstation\holding_good_files
myworkstation\holding -> myworkstation\windows\csc
turned offline files on
ran csccmd /EXTRACT /RECURSE /TARGET:c:\csc-files

the c:\csc-files was not created
Choosing to "View Files" within Folder Options\Offline Files, nothing there.

Thank you.

Jian-Ping Zhu said:
> [...]

| http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884739
|
| I hope this helps.
|
| Sincerely,
| Neo Zhu,
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| --------------------
| | From: =?Utf-8?B?Smlt?= <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Recover unsynchronized offline files from hard drive of
defunct
| PC
| | Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 20:20:01 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| |
| | Hello. One of my company's users has a notebook computer which has
some
| | CPU/motherboard problems that prevent the use of Windows on it. The
| notebook
| | is old enough and has been problematic enough in the past, that I don't
| |
| | The notebook hard drive seems to be in good shape. I would like to
| migrate
| | the data on it to a different computer; however, it has some
| unsynchronized
| | offline files that the user needs to recover. If I move the CSC
| | folders/files to a clean install of Windows XP, will I be able to use
| CSCCMD
| | 1.1 to extract the files? In other words, copy all the contents of
| | C:\WINDOWS\CSC on the old hard drive to the same location on the new
| | computer, then run:
| | csccmd /extract:\\steadfas-rgj5jp\Users /target:c:\tmp /onlymodified
| /recurse
| | to grab the unsynchronized local files? Would that work?
| |
| | Thanks in advance.
| |
| | --
| | Jim
| |

Jim

Problems recovering offline files - visit
http://www.afterhourspc.50webs.com/offline.html
for an easy solution

<Quote>
Welcome to Afterhourspc

The purpose of this company is to attract clients to establish a
private business in selling computer hardeware, software, doing
networks cableling, writing webpages and Microsoft databases in the
Centurion Midrand earea's [South Africa]

Contact information can be found on the "Contact Me" page
<Quote>