Recommendations on a freeware product to maintain privacy

Anonymous

Hi Everyone,

I need a freeware program to maintain privacy on my computer.

I found a payware program called Shardator at
http://www.shredator.com/ and I was hoping that some knowledgable
person here could point me to a freeware application that does the same
things as Shredator---or if you know of a freeware product that does
more than Shredator, or does it better, THAT would great too!

Thanks for your help!

The Six Million Dollar Man

Anonymous said:
Hi Everyone,

I need a freeware program to maintain privacy on my computer.

I found a payware program called Shardator at http://www.shredator.com/
and I was hoping that some knowledgable person here could point me to a
freeware application that does the same things as Shredator---or if you
know of a freeware product that does more than Shredator, or does it
better, THAT would great too!

Thanks for your help!
Eraser

http://heidi.ie/eraser/default.php

Anonymous

Anonymous submitted this idea :
Hi Everyone,

I need a freeware program to maintain privacy on my computer.

I have Eraser and I use it.
What I'm looking for is a program that offers one-button-click and my
hard drive is sanitized. I need a program that KNOWS what files and
folders need to be wiped clean and does it.

Or, I need to know what files and folders need to be sanitized and I
can write a batch file to do it.

The Six Million Dollar Man

Anonymous said:
Anonymous submitted this idea :

I have Eraser and I use it.
What I'm looking for is a program that offers one-button-click and my
hard drive is sanitized. I need a program that KNOWS what files and
folders need to be wiped clean and does it.

Or, I need to know what files and folders need to be sanitized and I can
write a batch file to do it.
CCleaner

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Nicolaas Hawkins

They die *much* sooner. I think the average link has the life span of a
May Fly. :(

Susan

Wouldn't that depend on who was wielding the fly-swat?
And what if it were only April (or is she wielding the fly-swat)?

:)

Nicolaas.

Pricelessware 2006 CD now available.
E-Mail for details: raptor740.gmail@com (swap "." and "@")

.... A good pun is its own reword.

jmatt

Maybe this one Anonymous.

Drive Cleanup Wizard
http://www.thejackol.com/index.php?p=26
What?
* Permanently delete left-over Windows Temporary Files
* Empty all files, in all User Profiles, with extensions .bak, .~,
..tmp
* Easily specify custom, multiple file-types to search and destroy
* Empty Temporary Internet Files and the Recycle Bin
* Ability to choose between normal Windows File Deletion or use the
Wipe Files feature which first fills each file with hex #00 and then
deletes them!

powerstation

This also may interest Anonymous.

JDN Reserve
http://www.geocities.com/jdn_reserve/
JDN Reserve has been withdrawn because the best way to secure your hard
drives is to encrypt them. Once encrypted, you no longer need to scrub
deleted files.

Is there a freeware program to encrypt a working windows hard drive like
DriveCrypt Plus Pack - (encrypts the whole operating system) ?

jmatt

Here are some to look at powerstation.
Free Drive Encryptor
http://www.softtester.com/programs/free-drive-encryptor.shtml
http://www.softtester.com/php/dl.ph....qdsecurity.com/downloads/clevercrypt-fde.exe
Create a password protected, fully encrypted hard drive to store all of
your private files and folders in. Just copy your files into your
secure drive for total protection. Free.
4 pages here.
http://www.freeware-guide.com/dir/util/secenkr.html
& more here.
http://www.freebyte.com/security/

I am not recommending anything, my list gives you a starting point to
find something to suit your operating system & skill level. What will
work on my computer, may not be happy on yours. What I can understand,
re how to install & run, may not apply to you.

Aaron

or cleanup

http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

or cleancache

http://www.buttuglysoftware.com/

Most of these cleaners nowdays have 'secure deletion'...

But they tend to be slower than eraser and perhaps not as through (Eraser
is more tested + open source). On the other hand, the 3 list above, has a
nice listing of files of a temporary nature that can be deleted...

Also Eraser doesn't do MRUs (registry keys) that might be a privacy
concern

Susan Bugher

Wouldn't that depend on who was wielding the fly-swat?
And what if it were only April (or is she wielding the fly-swat)?

:)

<Groan> I May just March far away from your August personage if you
don't quit making bad puns. ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Onno Voors

I need a program that KNOWS what files and
folders need to be wiped clean and does it.

I doubt that any program really knows that.
Or, I need to know what files and folders need to be sanitized and I
can write a batch file to do it.

You can create tasks in Eraser to delete all files in a certain folder, or
to wipe free space, and then run all those tasks at once.