Recommend a good budget digtal camera.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a digital camera, I don't want to spend any more than about £60 (I'm a poor student on a tight budget), and I want to be able to take good close up, and general photos with it for transfering to the pc and onto the web.

Can anyone recommend a good model for my budget, and/or a good place to look for one.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You gonna be a bit pushed for sixty quid, to be honest, but I expect there's something that meets your needs.

I always recommend Canon or Nikon for Digital Cameras. I expect Pentax are good too, but I have no experience of their digital models myself.

For that price, probably going to be 2 or 3 mp.

Have a look on Steve's Digicams to note a few models, then search for a price on Amazon (recommended) or Google.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Cheers flops, i'll look there.
I know it's not really a lot to be spending on a camera, but i do not use cameras all that often atm, so i can't justify the expense.
Maybe when i start using a digi cam I may get into it a bit more, but untill then a cheapo one will have to suffice. ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've bought good cameras for about £100 about a year ago, so you may be able to pick up a 2nd hand bargain from e-bay for a good 3MP digital camera.

I'd recommend getting a 2nd hand or refurbished camera from a better make than a generic digital camera from a no-frills company.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
2nd hand you say, thats a great idea....why didn't i think of that.
Cheers Ian ;)

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
OK folks. I went into DIXONS today for some advice on buying my new digital camera and ended up buying one from them. It's an Olympyus muju u410 with the following specs:
:) Weatherproof metal body
:) 4 Mega pixels
:) 3x Optical zoom
:) 8 scene programs
:) Movie function with sound
:) 32MB XD Card
:) Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery
It set me back £145 which was over my budget (but i've done loads of overtime recently) but very reasonable.
I also ended up buying 4 years of warranty for another £49. I usually never go for these extra warranties, but this covers against accidental damage too, there is no excess if i do have to claim, and if it needs replacing dixons will give me vouchers for the full value which i can then get whatever camera i want - so if it breaks 3 1/2 years down the line, I would then be able to get a newer model (prices are dropping and features increasing) which would be better.

I will issue a small review for you all in the user review section, once i have tried it out, and let you know how i get on with it.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
An excellent purchase, I had considered this particular model at one time when someone asked me for advise. Going from £60 to £145 did surprise me though. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new toy and very much looking forward to your opinion on same soon. By the way, did you consider getting another memory card? I think a 256 MB one would suit you fine to go with this model.

:) (this is what folks on the far end are supposed to do when you are shooting them :D)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Great buy, enjoy! :thumb:

I would not have bothered with the extended warrantee though ... you household insurance will more than cover it.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
By the way, did you consider getting another memory card? I think a 256 MB one would suit you fine to go with this model.

I have stayed with the 32Mb card for now, and if i need more space I'll order a new one from online.
The main reason for the camera is to photograph HQ review items for my new website, and maybe for some reviews here. So I will not be too far from the pc to transfer them if the card gets full. I will also be using the camera for general holiday snaps too, although i doubt they'll be on highest resolution, and i'll probabally get a spare to take away with me anyways.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Consider Crucial UK for extra card - good prices, quality memory, next day delivery, delivery included in quoted price and no hassle if you get a problem.

And don't forget to format it prior to use ;)

Congrats on your purchase :)

And I agree with Mucks about the warranty, you must have encountered a really good sales person ;)

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Like i mentioned earlier i dont generally go for these extra warranties, as they are often not worth the money (ie you can generally but the product again for the same price, and there is the standard warranty that comes with the camera), and i may have just come across a good sales pitch.
But the main thing that sold it to me is that it covers accidental damage, and for up to 4 years I can claim vouchers for the full amount. So, if i were to accidentally (ahem) drop it out of the car while it is still covered I could just get a new camera (no extra or hidden charges to pay out) for the same value i paid, and in 4 years specs will have shot up, and prices come down. So, I may have been suckered into it, but in this instance it brings me great peace of mind. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Cache-man said:
Like i mentioned earlier i dont generally go for these extra warranties, as they are often not worth the money (ie you can generally but the product again for the same price, and there is the standard warranty that comes with the camera), and i may have just come across a good sales pitch.
But the main thing that sold it to me is that it covers accidental damage, and for up to 4 years I can claim vouchers for the full amount. So, if i were to accidentally (ahem) drop it out of the car while it is still covered I could just get a new camera (no extra or hidden charges to pay out) for the same value i paid, and in 4 years specs will have shot up, and prices come down. So, I may have been suckered into it, but in this instance it brings me great peace of mind. :)

A fair point Sah :D ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It is still worth checking with your household insurance to see what they 'cover' ... I only mention this for the sake of other people that may read this post ... and you do have up to six years (5 in Scotland) to make a claim on "faulty goods" under the "Sale of Good Act" ... :thumb:

Remember your contract is with the seller and no-one else. Note also that your rights regarding 'satisfactory quality' includes major components like fridges and heaters and may last for up to six years, whatever the guarantee says. Furthermore it is the seller who must resolve your complaint. (The seller may of course make his own claim on the manufacturer but that is not your problem!).

;)

Ask a Question