Recognizing *.xls files

I have a document management program that I use that will only save based on
file types. In order for other people who have older versions of Office to
be able to work with a file I save, I need to identify the old file
extension. (Yes, I know I can save to an xls file in Office 2007, but that is
not the issues here.) The program gives me a choice of file extensions such
as *.xlsx and *.docx and *.pdf.

Prior to installing Office 2007, it gave me the option of saving to *.doc
and *.xls. It does not do so anymore. I found out that if one also has an
old version of office on the machine, the document management program will
recognize *.doc and *.xls extension.

There seems to be some sort of a registry or similar issue here. Anyone
know how to solve this?

Tyro

I have no idea what "document management" program you're using or why, but
the extensions .xlsx and .docx are the standard extensions in Excel and Word
in Office 2007. So I would imagine that's why your document management
program is using those. You'd have to find out how to get your document
management program to save with the older .xls and .doc extensions. Since
you don't state what document management program you're using, it's
difficult for someone here to advise you. This is an Excel newsgroup. It's
only by chance that someone here might be familiar with your document
management program.

Tyro

Peo Sjoblom

You might want to check with the support for the document management program
you are using

Thank you for your reply. This is a proprietary document management system.
Once a program is installed it fully recognizes the applicable extensions.
Accordingly, it is not a problem on computers where both Excel 2003 and 2007
are installed. I need to make the document management program think a
program is installed that uses *.xls extensions.

Tyro

Does your document management program have the capability of converting from
a .xlsx format to a .xls format? When Excel saves the files, it's not only
with a different extension, the files are in different formats.

Tyro

Jim Cone

Have you tried just renaming some files to an .xls extension?
You could even create some junk Notepad files and change their extensions.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Nevsky"
wrote in message
Thank you for your reply. This is a proprietary document management system.
Once a program is installed it fully recognizes the applicable extensions.
Accordingly, it is not a problem on computers where both Excel 2003 and 2007
are installed. I need to make the document management program think a
program is installed that uses *.xls extensions.

Unfortunately, I can not get adequate support for the program. My guess is
that Excel registers the file type in a certain way so that the document
management program sees it and can use it. Unfortunately, it only sees
*.xlsx files on computers that do not have Excel 2003 or earlier installed.

Thank your for your suggestions.