Recent documents disappeared from start menu

Lee M.

Start menu no longer shows recent documents, a feature I found quite useful.
In the customize start menu options, the box is checked to display recent
documents. How do I get it back?

Hi Lee M.,

If using XP Pro, open the Group Policy Editor (Start>Run key in gpedit.msc
then click on OK or hit ENTER)
Go to: User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Start Menu and Taskbar
Set the Policy "Remove Recent Documents item from Start Menu" to Not
Configured

If using XP Home, open the registry editor (Start>Run key in regedit then
click on OK or hit ENTER)
Navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
In the right-hand pane, look for a value named NoRecentDocsMenu and
double-click on it. If the Value Data is 0, that means that the policy is
disabled (Recent Documents will be on the Start menu). If the Value Data is
1, that means that the policy is enabled (Recent Documents will not be on the
Start menu). Change the value accordingly, then exit the registry editor.

Regards,

Joined
Sep 1, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
=?Utf-8?B?UGF0dGkgTWFjTGVvZA==?= said:
[...]

Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Lee M." wrote:

> Start menu no longer shows recent documents, a feature I found quite useful.
> In the customize start menu options, the box is checked to display recent
> documents. How do I get it back?

I tried this and theres no recent documents value in my registry at all o__o how do i get it back?! I'm having the same problem