Really simple Local Security Policy question

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

For some unkown reason a terminal service which I locked down using the local security policy editor a few months ago has ceased responding when I disable or enable the policies (both computer and user policies).

I've run GPRESULT for several users, some of which are still having the policies applied, some of which aren't. I've found that the users that are not receiving the polices appear to have the policies filtered out while users that are still locked down have both the default domain policy and the local security policy applied. Oddly, even if I open gpedit.msc and mark the computer and user policies to disabled the session remains in a locked down state! (And yes I have logged the user off and back on again).

So from what I understand this is a simple case of someone messing with the ACL for the local security policy GPO. I know where to find and configure the ACLs in AD, but this station was configured locally and I just don't know how to configure the local security policy ACL (didn't even know there was one!)

Can someone please help? Thanks all.

Reaction score
dbutch1976 said:
Hi Everyone,

For some unkown reason a terminal service which I locked down using the local security policy editor a few months ago has ceased responding when I disable or enable the policies (both computer and user policies).

I've run GPRESULT for several users, some of which are still having the policies applied, some of which aren't. I've found that the users that are not receiving the polices appear to have the policies filtered out while users that are still locked down have both the default domain policy and the local security policy applied. Oddly, even if I open gpedit.msc and mark the computer and user policies to disabled the session remains in a locked down state! (And yes I have logged the user off and back on again).

So from what I understand this is a simple case of someone messing with the ACL for the local security policy GPO. I know where to find and configure the ACLs in AD, but this station was configured locally and I just don't know how to configure the local security policy ACL (didn't even know there was one!)

Can someone please help? Thanks all.

Hey guys,

Is this question harder than I thought? How do I configure a filter for local security policy? (Not from AD). Doesn't anyone know???

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure myself, although which operating system is this for - as I'll move it to the correct section. :)

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I'm not sure myself, although which operating system is this for - as I'll move it to the correct section. :)

Windows 2003 server running terminal services in application mode.

Thanks.

Reaction score
dbutch1976 said:
Hey guys,

Is this question harder than I thought? How do I configure a filter for local security policy? (Not from AD). Doesn't anyone know???
Someone will help you if they know how to.
You would of course not want someone to have a guess know would you.

Ask a Question