Ready to uninstall Vista... BSOD hell

OK, I'm ready to uninstall Vista and either install XP again or get myself a
Mac.

I bought this laptop (Compaq) with Vista Business pre-installed. I've only
installed the programs I absolutely need - Visual Studio 2005, and the Adobe
Creative Suite.

I'm continually getting Blue Screen of Death crashes, apparently for no
cause (not doing very much at the time, or even when the computer is idle).

I haven't had BSOD problems since Windows 3.1!

The BSOD error message is a STOP error, code 00007E (I think - it goes away
very quickly).

So: do I uninstall Vista and give it all up as a bad joke?

Peter Foldes

Did you install SP1 for Visual Studio 2005 ? This service pack is needed for VS2005 in Vista. Otherwise you could get exactly what you are experiencing

Lang Murphy

--
Peter

mouldiwarp said:
OK, I'm ready to uninstall Vista and either install XP again or get myself
Mac.

I bought this laptop (Compaq) with Vista Business pre-installed. I've
only
installed the programs I absolutely need - Visual Studio 2005, and the
Adobe
Creative Suite.

I'm continually getting Blue Screen of Death crashes, apparently for no
cause (not doing very much at the time, or even when the computer is
idle).

I haven't had BSOD problems since Windows 3.1!

The BSOD error message is a STOP error, code 00007E (I think - it goes
away
very quickly).

So: do I uninstall Vista and give it all up as a bad joke?

And doesn't one have to install two separate SP's? VS SP1 and then VS SP1
for Vista?

Lang

Ian Semmel

Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Conversation: Ready to uninstall Vista... BSOD hell
Subject: Re: Ready to uninstall Vista... BSOD hell

mouldiwarp said:
[...]

Yes

ray

OK, I'm ready to uninstall Vista and either install XP again or get myself a
Mac.

I bought this laptop (Compaq) with Vista Business pre-installed. I've only
installed the programs I absolutely need - Visual Studio 2005, and the Adobe
Creative Suite.

I'm continually getting Blue Screen of Death crashes, apparently for no
cause (not doing very much at the time, or even when the computer is idle).

I haven't had BSOD problems since Windows 3.1!

The BSOD error message is a STOP error, code 00007E (I think - it goes away
very quickly).

So: do I uninstall Vista and give it all up as a bad joke?

Many competent consultants have advised clients not to install vista until
at least SP1. As I see you have several options:

1) wait several months for SP1 - hoping it will cure your problems.
2) install xp.
3) get a mac.
4) install Linux on the existing system.

Yes, I installed the VS 2005 SP1, that's not the problem.

But thanks for the thought.

Regards,

David

Many competent consultants have advised clients not to install vista
until at least SP1.

That's all very well, but when buying a new laptop it's a little difficult
to avoid.

Regards,

David

Yes, I installed both SPs.

And the problem doesn't always occur when I'm running VS anyway.

But thanks.

-- David

On a BRAND NEW laptop? Besides, the HP update system is installed and
automatically downloads updates from HP/Compaq when released.

My computer is up to date with drivers.

-- David.

Lang Murphy

mouldiwarp said:
OK, I'm ready to uninstall Vista and either install XP again or get myself
Mac.

I bought this laptop (Compaq) with Vista Business pre-installed. I've
only
installed the programs I absolutely need - Visual Studio 2005, and the
Adobe
Creative Suite.

I'm continually getting Blue Screen of Death crashes, apparently for no
cause (not doing very much at the time, or even when the computer is
idle).

I haven't had BSOD problems since Windows 3.1!

The BSOD error message is a STOP error, code 00007E (I think - it goes
away
very quickly).

So: do I uninstall Vista and give it all up as a bad joke?

Check out this MS KB article... it applies specifically to XP, but it may
help you troubleshoot your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182/

Good luck,

Lang

ray

That's all very well, but when buying a new laptop it's a little difficult
to avoid.

DELL sells systems with xp and with Ubuntu Linux preinstalled. The went
all vista at one point, but customers demanded other choices.

I'm having the exact same issues -- brand new laptop, drivers all updated (I
even rolled everything back to factory and tried reinstalling them) and yet I
still keep getting BOSD crashes. I can go days, sometimes weeks, with no
problems, then with nothing changed, it will start crashing every couple of
hours. Then it will stop and be fine again. I am about ready to tear out my
hair. Have you found anything that worked to solve the problem?

I've noticed Vista is very slow at times as well, giving me "Program Not
Responding" messages for a few minutes, then, if I don't touch anything, it
will start responding again. I have 1.5 GB of RAM (All tested more than once
and using more than one program for errors in care that was causing it) so I
don't think that's the problem, but you never know. I'm hoping maybe you
found something that worked to fix whatever bug in Vista is causing the
problems...

-Kitty

I'm having the same issue. my new HP Laptop DV9000T crashed for no apparent
reason and I had to use the recovery disks HP provided. I then loaded only 3
programs, CS3, Office 03, and Corel Draw. After I did this I created a
restore point, thankfully, because it crashed again after updating from all
places, Microsofts website. I was able to restore but what a hassle. Vista
sucks! I'm stuck with a lemon and have to wait for the first service pack.
You can't downgrade to XP and my extended service warranty does not replace
laptops. They would have to send to HP after an analysis at Comp USA. Any
suggestions?

I can only sympathise and tell you that this weekend I'm removing Vista,
reformatting and installing Windows XP SP 2.

Just recovered from my now DAILY BSOD error. Lost data AGAIN. This is not
a working system. I don't care whose fault it is, Microsoft or HP. This
computer is a joke.

Regards,

David

Thanks, but the article is of no help. My drivers are all up to date and
certified. Plenty of hard disk space, plenty of memory. No new hardware
installed (it's a laptop).

I have an unusable piece of junk, and I blame both Microsoft and HP.

Regards,

David

So you're saying that Microsoft is blameless and it's all HP's fault? I
should return the laptop to the store and buy a MacBook?

-- David

You CAN downgrade, but you'll need to reformat your computer (after backing
up all data).

I agree it's a lemon. Should we therefore buy an apple instead?

-- David

Lang Murphy

mouldiwarp said:
Thanks, but the article is of no help. My drivers are all up to date and
certified. Plenty of hard disk space, plenty of memory. No new hardware
installed (it's a laptop).

I have an unusable piece of junk, and I blame both Microsoft and HP.

Regards,

David

<snip>

Well... I'm running Vista Ultimate on 3 different machines here, and one
machine that I access remotely on a daily basis, and I've never, and I mean
never, seen a BSOD. Not once. I know that doesn't address your problem. And,
no, I'm not a fanboi, MS apologist, should anyone feel the need to brand me
as such.

Believe me, I understand your frustration. Went through that myself when I
installed Ubuntu and it freaked out on me. That said, you've checked the
event logs and not found anything that might indicate the root cause of your
BSOD problem? Are your drivers from vendor's web sites or from MS update or
HP update or any place other than the vendor's web sites? Have you tried
disabling certain hw to see if that impacts the problem? Have you tried HP's
forums? (Assume they exist...) Have you tried unistalling HP's crapware?
What AV program are you using?

It really does sound like a driver or software issue. Whether you want to
invest the time to ascertain the root cause is up to you. If returning the
PC is an option, one might consider that option.

Lang