read only attribute

Jerry Larson

I am running windows XP home with SP2 installed and have administrator privileges. When I remove "Read Only" attribute from a folder in Windows Explorer, it removes but after I open properties again, the Read Only" is back again. How do I get rid of the read only. Thanks for your help.

Will Denny

Hi

The read only attribute does not apply to the files inside the folders.
What can't you do with the folders that you want to?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

I am running windows XP home with SP2 installed and have administrator
privileges. When I remove "Read Only" attribute from a folder in Windows
Explorer, it removes but after I open properties again, the Read Only" is
back again. How do I get rid of the read only. Thanks for your help.

Richard Urban

That is the standard attribute for Windows folders. It will always come
back. Don't worry unless you find it is actually preventing you from
altering or deleting a file (I doubt it).

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

I am running windows XP home with SP2 installed and have administrator
privileges. When I remove "Read Only" attribute from a folder in Windows
Explorer, it removes but after I open properties again, the Read Only" is
back again. How do I get rid of the read only. Thanks for your help.

Jerry Larson

Thanks for quick reply. That answered my question as I thought I would not be able to change or delete with read only. It does not.

--
Jerry

Love is never having to say you're sorry.
Marriage is never having a chance to say
anything.

David Candy

"The read only attribute [on a folder] does not apply to the files inside the folders."

is less confusing way of saying it. It took me a minute to work out what you meant.

Will Denny

Yes - you're right. Thank you David.

--

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
"The read only attribute [on a folder] does not apply to the files inside
the folders."

is less confusing way of saying it. It took me a minute to work out what you
meant.

Alex Nichol

Jerry said:
I am running windows XP home with SP2 installed and have administrator privileges. When I remove "Read Only" attribute from a folder in Windows Explorer, it removes but after I open properties again, the Read Only" is back again. How do I get rid of the read only.

Read only is an attribute that has no meaning for folders (the
directories are always open for writing), and XP makes an alternative
use of it. You can change it and on Apply it will ask if you want the
change applied to all contained objects, but the display of it for the
folder will revert to greyed